Oracle rolls out new database security package
Oracle Audit Vault and Database Firewall have been combined for easier deployments
IDG News Service - Oracle is simplifying its security offerings by combining a pair of existing tools into a single package.
The offering, Oracle Audit Vault and Database Firewall, provides both network traffic sniffing for security threats and audit data analysis. It also adds the ability to audit OSes, directories and other sources, beyond Oracle's database and third-party database systems, according to the company.
Oracle Audit Vault and Database Firewall is delivered as a software appliance for easier deployment, said Vipin Samar, vice president of database security product development. Previously, customers had to purchase the products separately.
The product can monitor SQL traffic on Oracle's database as well as Microsoft SQL Server, MySQL and IBM's DB2.
It also provides a central repository for audit and event logs, from which users can run dozens of prebuilt custom reports. The reports can also be tweaked to the needs of each customer, according to Samar.
An Oracle database expert expressed a measured view of the vendor's announcement.
Database Firewall is derived from Oracle's acquisition of Secerno in 2010, said Alex Gorbachev, CTO of the remote database administration provider Pythian Group.
It can be an active firewall, blocking attacks, "or it can be in auditing mode, just listening and reporting," Gorbachev said. "It makes sense to move that reporting part into Audit Vault. Otherwise, there is lots of overlapping functionality."
Oracle also has had a wide range of security options for its database, with each licensed separately, he added. "Obviously, simplifying this area of products is overdue because it's very confusing for the customer to decide which ones they need."
In addition to making things easier for customers, Oracle is hoping to sell more software licenses with the combined product and software appliance deployment model, said Roxana Bradescu, director of database security product management. The goal is "really large-scale deployments," she said.
To date, Pythian Group has seen customer adoption of Oracle's Advanced Security, Data Masking and Label Security products, but little for Database Firewall and Audit Vault, according to Gorbachev.
Chris Kanaracus covers enterprise software and general technology breaking news for The IDG News Service. Chris' email address is Chris_Kanaracus@idg.com
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- What Datapipe customers need to know about the new PCI DSS 3.0 compliance standard This handy quick reference outlines what PCI DSS 3.0 is, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the new...
- The 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements addressed by Peer 1 Hosting This handy quick reference outlines the 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the...
- Defense Throughout the Vulnerability Life Cycle This whitepaper provides insight into how to leverage threat and log management technologies to protect your IT assets throughout their vulnerability life cycle.
- The Critical Role of Support in Your Enterprise Mobility Management Strategy Most business leaders underestimate the importance of tech support when they choose an EMM solution. Here's what to put on your checklist.
- Live Webcast Best Practices for the Hyperconverged Enterprise Network To the Age of Constant Connectivity and Information overload
- Live Webcast Unmasking the Differences between Consumer and Enterprise File Sync & Share The consumerization of IT combined with the rapid pace of the modern mobile workplace is forcing enterprise IT teams to evaluate file sync...
- Live Webcast Government Agency Webifies Outdated COBOL Applications Let this CTO tell you how his agency converted 1980s-era green screens into an e-filing portal for the 100,000 cases handled each year...
- The New Way to Work Knowledge Vault This Knowledge Vault focuses on how, in today's increasingly virtual world, it's more important than ever to engage deeply with employees, suppliers, partners,...
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the... All Applications White Papers | Webcasts