Apptio unveils tool to keep track of cloud costs
The free tool works directly with cloud services from Amazon Web Services, Microsoft, and Rackspace
IDG News Service - Companies worried about their bills for cloud services have a new -- and free -- option: Apptio's Cloud Express, which can track usage and costs for cloud services from Amazon Web Services, Microsoft and Rackspace.
IT departments are increasingly being asked to adopt cloud computing, but they often lack the necessary data and analysis required to make informed decisions, according to Apptio, a company that specializes in tools to help CIOs determine the cost and quality of their IT systems.
Gathering cost information on use of public cloud providers is today a labor-intensive process, but Apptio wants to change that with the introduction of the free Cloud Express tool.
To get started, users register their accounts with Amazon Web Services, Microsoft's Azure or Rackspace in Cloud Express, which then automatically imports billing and usage data.
Based on that, Cloud Express can help identify underutilized resources to minimize waste. Cloud Express can also recommend changes to cut costs, Apptio said.
In the case of AWS, it offers recommendations on potential cost savings of moving from on-demand to reserved instances, which allow enterprises to pay an up-front fee to get a lower hourly rate.
Cloud Express can collect data from other public clouds and services, but there is more work involved to get that up and running.
Cloud Express is based on technology from Apptio's recent acquisition of Raveld. The tool is still being beta tested and can be accessed from the service's website.
Send news tips and comments to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Cloud Computing eGuide In this eGuide, CIO, Computerworld, and InfoWorld offer advice, tips, news, and predictions regarding cloud implementations in the coming year and beyond. Read...
- Increase IT Performance from the Enterprise to the Cloud with WAN Optimization Massive consolidation and data mobility, enabled by virtualization, have radically altered how we build servers, design applications, and deploy storage for the emerging...
- IDC: Eliminate Shortcomings in Your Cloud Architecture with Smarter Storage This white paper demonstrates how IBM Smarter Storage provides customers with an ideal, proven platform for cloud computing. IBM has a differentiated storage...
- Radicati: Cloud Business Email - Market Quadrant 2013 Google was named the top cloud business email provider in a recent report by research firm Radicati. Out of 14 key players, Google...
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources...
- Video surveillance for IT: maximum image quality, minimum bandwidth Join us on Thursday, May 8th at 1 p.m. EST when Willem Ryan, Senior Product Marketing Manager at Avigilon, will discuss how IT... All Cloud Computing White Papers | Webcasts