MediaTek integrates graphics, modem on quad-core processor for smartphones
Both MediaTek and Qualcomm are vying for the Chinese market
IDG News Service - Taiwan's MediaTek announced a new quad-core ARM chip made for mid- to high-end Android devices that the company hopes will keep it competitive as rival chip makers also come out with their own quad-core chipsets.
The MediaTek MT6589 chip packages together a wireless modem, graphics processor and a quad-core ARM Cortex-A7 CPU built with 28-nanometer fabrication technology. The company claims it as the world's first quad-core "system on a chip."
The MT6589 chip is already being designed into Android devices, with the first models expected to start shipping in the first quarter of next year, the company said on Wednesday.
MediaTek's MT6589 chip does not support LTE, but does feature a modem for HSPA+ and the TD-SCDMA standard, which is used in China Mobile's 3G network. China Mobile has more than 700 customers, and is the country's largest mobile operator.
MediaTek made the announcement a week after rival Qualcomm also unveiled two quad-core chips designed for 3G networks, that could arrive in the newest smartphones as soon as next year's second quarter. Phone that use the Qualcomm chips can also operate over China Mobile's TD-SCDMA 3G network.
Both companies are vying for the Chinese market, where MediaTek dominated in feature phone handsets. But the rise of smartphones has helped Qualcomm to quickly expand its business in the country and made it a threat to MediaTek, according to research firm Gartner.
The MT6589 chip supports 1080p high-definition video playback and recording, and a camera for up 13 megapixel resolution. The chip also supports the use of dual-SIM (subscriber identity module) cards in a smartphone, a feature which experts have said is popular in China.
For the year 2012, Qualcomm is expected to become the third largest semiconductor supplier by revenue, with a 27% year-over-year growth, said a report from research firm IHS iSuppli. MediaTek, however, will rank at 17th, with 4.9% year-over-year growth.
- An Insightful Approach to Optimizing Mainframe MLC Spend This paper discusses how you can penetrate the complexity of IBM mainframe MLC products and the MLC price model to gain insight into...
- Meeting the Exploding Demand for New IT Services In this eBook, explore the top trends driving the New IT for IT Service Management, and how leading organizations are evolving to focus...
- Hybrid IT-A Low-Risk Path from On-Premise to ITaaS This white paper provides a strategy to move part or all of your ITSM suite to the cloud as a stepping stone to...
- Paving the Windows XP Migration Path to Success Support for Windows XP has ended, leaving organizations with three choices: Windows 8, Windows 7 or a combination. With the right planning and...
- Increase Your Data Center IQ Discover how to improve network efficiency, lower IT costs and more proactively manage your physical, virtual and cloud environments.
- Optimize Data Center Resources and Plan for the Future Eliminate over-provisioning and capacity shortfalls with pro-active capacity optimization. Join us in the evolution from capacity monitoring to capacity optimization in your data... All Hardware White Papers | Webcasts