US law enforcement busts cybercrime rings with help from Facebook
The malware infected more than 11 million computers and caused $850 million in losses, according to the FBI
IDG News Service - U.S. law enforcement agencies with the help of Facebook have arrested 10 people from various countries in connection with international cybercrime rings that targeted users on the social network.
The operation is said to have identified international cybercrime rings that used variants of a malware called Yahos. The malware infected more than 11 million computers and caused more than $850 million in losses through a Butterfly botnet, which steals computer users' credit card, bank account, and other personal identifiable information, the FBI said in a statement late Tuesday.
The 10 people arrested are from Bosnia and Herzegovina, Croatia, Macedonia, New Zealand, Peru, the U.K. and the U.S.
Botnets are networks of computers that have been compromised by malware, and can be controlled remotely by cybercriminals to execute a variety of attacks including distributed denials of service.
Facebook's security team assisted the law enforcement agencies in the investigation by helping "to identify the root cause, the perpetrators, and those affected by the malware," the FBI said. Yahos targeted Facebook users from 2010 to October this year, and security systems were able to detect affected accounts and provide tools to remove these threats, FBI said.
Besides the FBI and the U.S. Department of Justice, law enforcement agencies from other countries were also involved in the operation.
- The Evolution of Corporate Cyberthreats Cybercriminals are creating and deploying new threats every day that are more destructive than ever before. While you may have more people devoted...
- Platfora Big Data Analytics for Network Security Platfora amplifies the effectiveness of network security analysis, providing Big Data Analytics capability to augment existing security infrastructure for known threats, and advanced...
- Securing Mobile App Data - Comparing Containers and App Wrappers Analysts agree that Mobile Device Management (MDM) is not enough when it comes to securing app data. Although it remains a critical component...
- Capabilities You Need in an IP Address Management Solution A mismanaged IP space can cripple an otherwise healthy network. Take a moment to understand what you need in an enterprise-ready IPAM solution.
- Accelerate your innovation with IBM Bluemix™ Join us for a webcast introducing the new IBM BluemixTM. IBM Bluemix (www.bluemix.net) is a developer oriented Platform as a Service (PaaS) environment...
- Maximizing Availability for the Modern Data Center Check out this information-packed resource center for help in maximizing the availability of your data center - from overcoming challenges to choosing the... All Cyberwarfare White Papers | Webcasts