Sprint reportedly in talks to buy out Clearwire
The company might acquire the other 49 percent of its WiMax partner that it doesn't yet own, say news reports
IDG News Service - Sprint Nextel is in negotiations to acquire the remainder of Clearwire, its 4G WiMax network partner, say news reports.
Sprint owns about 51 percent of Clearwire's stock and is the main wholesale customer of its national WiMax network. Clearwire was formed in 2008 through a joint venture between Sprint and a predecessor of Clearwire, with investments from Google and several cable operators. But the relationship between the two companies has been complicated from the start.
Talks are ongoing on a possible Sprint buyout, which ultimately may not happen, according to stories in the Wall Street Journal and other news outlets, which cited unnamed sources.
Clearwire is saddled with billions of dollars in long-term debt and continues to lose money, but it has huge spectrum holdings in most major U.S. markets. Sprint, which itself has been struggling against larger rivals AT&T and Verizon Wireless, will soon be newly rich if Japan's Softbank wins approval to buy 70 percent of the company for US$20 billion.
Last month, a Clearwire investor called on the company to sell its spectrum for an estimated $9 billion to prevent Sprint from executing a buyout on the cheap. The investment company Mount Kellet Capital Management warned that Sprint wanted to weaken Clearwire until it could buy the rest of the company at a discount.
On Tuesday, Clearwire's stock on the Nasdaq (CLWR) rose $0.28 to close at $2.68. Sprint (S) fell $0.09 to $5.57 on the New York Stock Exchange.
Sprint and Clearwire declined to comment on the reports.
- The Apple-ization of the Enterprise: Understanding IT's New World Read this paper for how to tackle Apple-ization (and the related consumerization of IT and Bring Your Own Device/BYOD).
- A Practical Introduction to Enterprise Mobility Management Read the white paper to better understand the basic concepts within mobility management and to learn how you can apply EMM technology to...
- Enterprise Mobility: A Checklist for Secure Containerization The advantages and disadvantages of the multiple approaches to containerization. Learn More>>
- Enterprise Endpoint Backup Checklist Read this checklist to learn how to create a back up strategy to quickly and easily protect your endpoint data.
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Mobile Security: Containerizing Enterprise Data In this on-demand webinar, Fixmo's Lee Cocking, VP of corporate strategy, explains why Apple-ization trends like mobility and "bring-your-own-device" (BYOD) are driving the... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts