WiLan files new patent lawsuits against RIM, Apple, other companies
The company has filed several patent infringement lawsuits related to mobile technologies in recent months
IDG News Service - WiLan, a Canadian patent licensing firm, has filed a round of new patent infringement lawsuits against Research in Motion, Apple, HTC and Sierra Wireless.
WiLan filed a patent infringement lawsuit against RIM late Monday in U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida. The company filed a separate patent infringement lawsuit against RIM in January.
In addition, WiLan filed new patent lawsuits against Apple, HTC and Sierra Wireless last Thursday. The company filed patent lawsuits against several companies, including those three, in late 2011.
WiLan declined to comment on the lawsuits.
The new lawsuit against RIM focuses on a patent related to the use of data voice packets in Bluetooth-compliant products. The January patent lawsuit against RIM also involved Bluetooth, related to frequency sharing.
RIM, in a statement, said it would "vigorously defend itself" against the lawsuit.
Last Thursday, WiLan filed lawsuits against Apple, HTC and Sierra Wireless in same Florida court for patents related to LTE technologies.
WiLan also filed lawsuits against Apple and Sierra Wireless for a patent related to 3G HSPA handset products. Those lawsuits were filed in U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas.
Representatives of Apple, HTC and Sierra Wireless didn't immediately respond to a request for comment.
Grant Gross covers technology and telecom policy in the U.S. government for The IDG News Service. Follow Grant on Twitter at GrantGross. Grant's e-mail address is email@example.com.
- In Apple v. Samsung, it's a 'holy war' for $2B
- A day into the trial, Apple and Samsung already annoying each other
- Supreme Court justices raise questions about software patents
- Phil Schiller up again in next round of Apple-Samsung battle
- Nokia and HTC bury hatchet in patent disputes
- How about them apples: Google and Samsung ink patent deal
- Samsung's Apple damages equal to just 16 days' profit
- Supreme Court to get software patent case
- The latest move to kill bad patents divides tech industry
- Judge refuses to stay Apple-Samsung lawsuit pending patent review
- Study: Total Economic Impact of Google Apps Employees can work faster and IT spending can decrease when companies switch to Google Apps, says a commissioned study by Forrester Consulting. Going...
- Protecting Digitalized Assets in Healthcare Healthcare providers face an urgent, internal battle every day: security and compliance versus productivity and service. For most healthcare organizations, the fight is...
- Is a SaaS Deployment Right for You? Find out the answer and as well as the other deployment options.
- Discover How Mail Express Solves 2 of Your Biggest IT Headaches Email. It can be the source of some of IT's biggest headaches. As it eats up storage and bandwidth, it also opens up...
- Increasing the Value of Your Reports and Dashboards Learn how incorporating other analytical capabilities such as predictive modeling and visualization can increase the value of your reports and dashboards by providing...
- Video surveillance for IT: maximum image quality, minimum bandwidth Join us on Thursday, May 8th at 1 p.m. EST when Willem Ryan, Senior Product Marketing Manager at Avigilon, will discuss how IT... All Management White Papers | Webcasts