WiLan files new patent lawsuits against RIM, Apple, other companies
The company has filed several patent infringement lawsuits related to mobile technologies in recent months
IDG News Service - WiLan, a Canadian patent licensing firm, has filed a round of new patent infringement lawsuits against Research in Motion, Apple, HTC and Sierra Wireless.
WiLan filed a patent infringement lawsuit against RIM late Monday in U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida. The company filed a separate patent infringement lawsuit against RIM in January.
In addition, WiLan filed new patent lawsuits against Apple, HTC and Sierra Wireless last Thursday. The company filed patent lawsuits against several companies, including those three, in late 2011.
WiLan declined to comment on the lawsuits.
The new lawsuit against RIM focuses on a patent related to the use of data voice packets in Bluetooth-compliant products. The January patent lawsuit against RIM also involved Bluetooth, related to frequency sharing.
RIM, in a statement, said it would "vigorously defend itself" against the lawsuit.
Last Thursday, WiLan filed lawsuits against Apple, HTC and Sierra Wireless in same Florida court for patents related to LTE technologies.
WiLan also filed lawsuits against Apple and Sierra Wireless for a patent related to 3G HSPA handset products. Those lawsuits were filed in U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas.
Representatives of Apple, HTC and Sierra Wireless didn't immediately respond to a request for comment.
Grant Gross covers technology and telecom policy in the U.S. government for The IDG News Service. Follow Grant on Twitter at GrantGross. Grant's e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Samsung invokes Alice case to challenge two Apple patents
- Elon Musk to open up Supercharging patent designs
- Apple asks U.S. court to make Samsung remove infringing features
- Apple and Google agree to drop all patent suits
- Update: Jury finds Samsung infringed Apple patents, must pay $120M in damages
- The wrath of Koh: Samsung gets judge's ire in Apple patent case
- In Apple v. Samsung, it's a 'holy war' for $2B
- A day into the trial, Apple and Samsung already annoying each other
- Supreme Court justices raise questions about software patents
- Phil Schiller up again in next round of Apple-Samsung battle
- ACM Leadership Guide Knowledge worker effectiveness has emerged as a top priority to both optimize the customer experience and help employees work more efficiently. See how...
- The Cloud BI that IT and Developers Demand Jaspersoft for AWS allows developers and IT professionals to easily and affordably build business intelligence solutions as well as embed visualizations and analytics...
- AWS and Jaspersoft Disrupt BI TIBCO Jaspersoft for AWS and Amazon Redshift disrupt business intelligence with cost-effective analytics in the cloud. Available by the hour in a pay-as-you-go...
- Cloud BI Demo: Jaspersoft for AWS Watch a 5-minute overview demo of Jaspersoft for AWS and see how to easily and affordably build business intelligence solutions as well as...
- Cloud BI in Action: Recorded Webinar of Customer, Kony, Inc. See how Kony, Inc., a leading enterprise mobility company, is using TIBCO Jaspersoft for Amazon Web Services and Redshift to achieve embedded analytics...
- Cloud BI Overview: Jaspersoft for AWS Check out this overview of Jaspersoft for AWS, to easily and affordably build business intelligence solutions as well as embed visualizations and analytics... All Legal White Papers | Webcasts