WiLan files new patent lawsuits against RIM, Apple, other companies
The company has filed several patent infringement lawsuits related to mobile technologies in recent months
IDG News Service - WiLan, a Canadian patent licensing firm, has filed a round of new patent infringement lawsuits against Research in Motion, Apple, HTC and Sierra Wireless.
WiLan filed a patent infringement lawsuit against RIM late Monday in U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida. The company filed a separate patent infringement lawsuit against RIM in January.
In addition, WiLan filed new patent lawsuits against Apple, HTC and Sierra Wireless last Thursday. The company filed patent lawsuits against several companies, including those three, in late 2011.
WiLan declined to comment on the lawsuits.
The new lawsuit against RIM focuses on a patent related to the use of data voice packets in Bluetooth-compliant products. The January patent lawsuit against RIM also involved Bluetooth, related to frequency sharing.
RIM, in a statement, said it would "vigorously defend itself" against the lawsuit.
Last Thursday, WiLan filed lawsuits against Apple, HTC and Sierra Wireless in same Florida court for patents related to LTE technologies.
WiLan also filed lawsuits against Apple and Sierra Wireless for a patent related to 3G HSPA handset products. Those lawsuits were filed in U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas.
Representatives of Apple, HTC and Sierra Wireless didn't immediately respond to a request for comment.
Grant Gross covers technology and telecom policy in the U.S. government for The IDG News Service. Follow Grant on Twitter at GrantGross. Grant's e-mail address is email@example.com.
- Phil Schiller up again in next round of Apple-Samsung battle
- Nokia and HTC bury hatchet in patent disputes
- How about them apples: Google and Samsung ink patent deal
- Samsung's Apple damages equal to just 16 days' profit
- Supreme Court to get software patent case
- The latest move to kill bad patents divides tech industry
- Judge refuses to stay Apple-Samsung lawsuit pending patent review
- A huge damage award looms as Apple and Samsung return to court next week
- New patent reform bill targets trolls
- Samsung won't get a retrial in 'overscroll bounce' patent fight with Apple
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The value of smarter oil and gas fields With global energy requirements continuing to rise, the exploration, development and production of new oil and gas resources are shifting to increasingly challenging...
- Smarter Environmental Analytics Solutions: Offshore Oil and Gas Installations Example This IBM Redbooks® Solution Guide describes a solution for implementing smarter environmental monitoring and analytics for oil and gas industries. The solution implements...
- Piecing Together the Business Intelligence Puzzle Business intelligence (BI) technology collects and analyzes company data, delivering relevant information to corporate decision-makers in an effort to produce favorable outcomes.
- Harness IT -- An Introduction to Business Intelligence Solutions Learn the key selection criteria required to provide your organization with the capability to address structured data, unstructured data and mobile demands so...
- The New Way to Work Knowledge Vault This Knowledge Vault focuses on how, in today's increasingly virtual world, it's more important than ever to engage deeply with employees, suppliers, partners,...
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the... All Legal White Papers | Webcasts