WiLan files new patent lawsuits against RIM, Apple, other companies
The company has filed several patent infringement lawsuits related to mobile technologies in recent months
IDG News Service - WiLan, a Canadian patent licensing firm, has filed a round of new patent infringement lawsuits against Research in Motion, Apple, HTC and Sierra Wireless.
WiLan filed a patent infringement lawsuit against RIM late Monday in U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida. The company filed a separate patent infringement lawsuit against RIM in January.
In addition, WiLan filed new patent lawsuits against Apple, HTC and Sierra Wireless last Thursday. The company filed patent lawsuits against several companies, including those three, in late 2011.
WiLan declined to comment on the lawsuits.
The new lawsuit against RIM focuses on a patent related to the use of data voice packets in Bluetooth-compliant products. The January patent lawsuit against RIM also involved Bluetooth, related to frequency sharing.
RIM, in a statement, said it would "vigorously defend itself" against the lawsuit.
Last Thursday, WiLan filed lawsuits against Apple, HTC and Sierra Wireless in same Florida court for patents related to LTE technologies.
WiLan also filed lawsuits against Apple and Sierra Wireless for a patent related to 3G HSPA handset products. Those lawsuits were filed in U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas.
Representatives of Apple, HTC and Sierra Wireless didn't immediately respond to a request for comment.
Grant Gross covers technology and telecom policy in the U.S. government for The IDG News Service. Follow Grant on Twitter at GrantGross. Grant's e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Samsung invokes Alice case to challenge two Apple patents
- Elon Musk to open up Supercharging patent designs
- Apple asks U.S. court to make Samsung remove infringing features
- Apple and Google agree to drop all patent suits
- Update: Jury finds Samsung infringed Apple patents, must pay $120M in damages
- The wrath of Koh: Samsung gets judge's ire in Apple patent case
- In Apple v. Samsung, it's a 'holy war' for $2B
- A day into the trial, Apple and Samsung already annoying each other
- Supreme Court justices raise questions about software patents
- Phil Schiller up again in next round of Apple-Samsung battle
- The Business Value of Continuous Delivery Download this whitepaper to learn more about the business value of Continuous Delivery and see why it could be a game changer for...
- Ten Factors Shaping the Future of Application Delivery Download this research report conducted by Enterprise Management Associates (EMA) to learn how those that are seeking to accelerate application delivery are leveraging...
- Software Asset Management: Ensuring Today's Assets Today's trends like BYOD and SaaS are new and exciting in terms of how they will help make our jobs more productive but...
- Trends Shaping Software Management: 2014 Most IT executives recognize the relationship between mobile computing and worker productivity, and have long issued notebook computers and other mobile devices to...
- IBM FlashSystem V840: Leveraging Software-Defined Flash to Drive Your Business With end-to-end, tightly integrated functionality and super-fast flash technology, products like IBM FlashSystem V840 Enterprise Performance Solution empower businesses to leverage the efficiency...
- Leveraging Flash Storage to Accelerate Oracle Real Application Clusters Join this webinar to understand the latest solid-state storage trends, the specific applications driving solid-state storage deployments and the benefits of deploying the... All Legal White Papers | Webcasts