ZTE to show high-end handset at CES
The company, known for its budget handsets, will in future place more emphasis on high-end devices
IDG News Service - Chinese handset maker ZTE, known for its budget smartphones, will unveil a new high-end device at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas next month, marking a change of direction for the company.
"It will kind of be a starting point of a new design era for ZTE," said Hagen Fendler, ZTE's new global chief design director in an interview on Tuesday.
Fendler declined to offer more details on the new phone that will be shown at CES. But he suggested that it was separate from the "Nubia" brand, which ZTE teased back in late October with the mention of a 5-inch smartphone slated to arrive in the Chinese market in December.
"The Nubia brand is a second brand, which we use to address the high end in parallel to this activity," he said.
Fendler came to ZTE in September after previously leading handset design for rival Huawei Technologies, which is also based in China. Leaving Huawei was not an easy decision, he said, but in the end he chose ZTE because "the overall package, the huge opportunities, and also the plans of the company were very convincing"
As part of those plans, Fendler will be helping to establish a new European design center in Germany next year. ZTE already has 400 design engineers worldwide.
Fendler's arrival coincides with ZTE's move toward selling higher-end handsets with higher profit margins than its existing low-end phones.
"Over time, we'll get a more and more consistent portfolio in our design approach," he said. "And more and more, there will be a clear identity of what does it mean to have a product designed by ZTE."
In the third quarter, ZTE overtook HTC to become the fourth-largest smartphone vendor in the world, and is poised to soon take the third spot from BlackBerry maker Research In Motion.
- Dude, we're gonna need more wireless
- Is CES a thieves' paradise?
- Tablets, smartphones and TVs upstage PCs at CES
- IPv6 can boost mobile performance, battery life, proponents say
- HomePlug moving beyond adapters to built-in networking
- GoPro, iON cameras turn your life into a movie
- CES crowd likes FCC's Wi-Fi expansion plans
- Micron unveils its first 1TB SSD -- for under $600
- Video gallery: 2013 CES
- Augmented reality mobile app brings inanimate objects to life
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The Critical Role of Support in Your Enterprise Mobility Management Strategy Most business leaders underestimate the importance of tech support when they choose an EMM solution. Here's what to put on your checklist.
- Separating Work and Personal at the Platform Level: How BlackBerry Balance Works BlackBerry® Balance™ separates work from personal on the same mobile device, right at a platform level. Find out how it can work for...
- Protection for Every Enterprise: How BlackBerry Security Works Get an IT-level review of BlackBerry® Security, addressing data leakage protection, certified encryption, containerization and much more.
- Future Focus: What's Coming in Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) Find out why Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) solutions that are truly future-ready must be designed to enable Machine-to-Machine (M2M) capabilities and much more.
- Live Webcast On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Live Webcast Unmasking the Differences between Consumer and Enterprise File Sync & Share The consumerization of IT combined with the rapid pace of the modern mobile workplace is forcing enterprise IT teams to evaluate file sync...
- Live Webcast Workforce Mobilization for Improved Productivity A mobility research director from Aberdeen discusses reasons for extending legacy applications to mobile devices, and an integration strategist from Attachmate shows how...
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the...
- Containerization Options: How to Choose the Best DLP Solution for Your Organization This webcast outlines a framework for making the right choice when it comes to containerization approaches, along with the pros and cons of... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts