Huawei invests $90M in Finland to build better smartphones
The company plan to hire current and former Nokia employees
IDG News Service - Chinese telecom company Huawei Technologies will invest 70 million euros (US$90.6 million) over a five-year period to establish a research and development center in Helsinki. Its first task will be to build software for smartphones and tablets based on Android and Windows Phone 8.
Huawei is the world's fifth-largest smartphone vendor in terms of unit sales, but wants to enter the top three and is hoping to take advantage of Nokia's struggles to make that happen, according to Neil Mawston, executive director at market research company Strategy Analytics.
"Huawei is being a little opportunistic in that it knows there will be a lot of well-qualified Nokia people in the Helsinki area who will be looking for alternative employment," Mawston said.
At first, Huawei plans to recruit 30 employees for the center, with the goal of hiring more than 100 people over five years, the company said Monday.
Initial projects will focus on software development for smartphones, tablets and other types of devices, based on OSes such as Android and Windows Phone 8, Huawei said.
The company has yet to announce its first smartphone based on the latest version of Microsoft's OS, but is expected to do so soon.
The Helsinki R&D center will join an already established modem and technology design center in Sweden and a user interface research center in the U.K.
Huawei has a history of investing in the Nordic countries. Last year the company celebrated the 10th anniversary of its arrival in Sweden, which is the home country of Ericsson, its biggest rival in the mobile network sector.
Huawei employs more than 7,000 people across Europe.
Send news tips and comments to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Tips for Driving User Adoption in New Technology Deployment Read this checklist on tips for driving user adoption to see where you stand.
- Enable secure remote access to 3D data without sacrificing visual perfomance Design and manufacturing companies must adapt quickly to the demands of an increasingly global and competitive economy. To speed time to market for...
- The Truth About Virtual Computing for CAD If you're a user of graphics-intensive software such as 3D modeling, simulation and analysis, and visualization, you might be skeptical about moving to...
- Virtually Delivered High Performance 3D Graphics "A picture is worth a thousand words." That old phrase is as true today as it ever was. Pictures (i.e., those with heavy...
- What should I look for in a Next Generation Firewall? SANS Provides Guidance With so many vendors claiming to have a Next Generation Firewall (NGFW), it can be difficult to tell what makes each one different....
- Why Are Customers Really Deploying an NGFW? It seems every IT Security expert is talking about the NGFW, but what are people really doing? This webcast covers 5 real-world customer... All Smartphones White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!