AT&T boosts LTE coverage to 113 markets
Goal is to reach 300 million people with the faster wireless service by the end of 2014
Computerworld - AT&T said it added four new LTE wireless markets on Monday, for a total of 113 markets nationwide.
The four new markets are mid-sized cities: Auburn, Ala., Grand Rapids, Mich., Nashua, N.H., and Wilkes-Barre, Pa. AT&T previously lit up many of the nation's largest cities with the faster wireless service.
The carrier also reported adding another six LTE markets last week.
As of Monday, AT&T said its LTE coverage can reach 160 million people with a goal of reaching 300 million by the end of 2014.
Verizon Wireless has already reached AT&T's goal, and offers LTE in more than 440 cities, making it the largest LTE carrier in the world. Sprint recently said it had reached 43 markets.
LTE coverage is clearly seen as a competitive differentiator by the carriers, although it isn't clear whether one carrier will have significantly faster downloads with LTE once users crowd cell towers with LTE-ready smartphones.
AT&T users have seen 50 Mbps downloads on some new, uncrowded LTE networks, but the average in crowded areas is from 8 Mbps to 12 Mbps on all the carriers.
Matt Hamblen covers mobile and wireless, smartphones and other handhelds, and wireless networking for Computerworld. Follow Matt on Twitter at @matthamblen or subscribe to Matt's RSS feed. His email address is email@example.com.
Read more about Wireless Carriers in Computerworld's Wireless Carriers Topic Center.
- Silicon Valley's 19 Coolest Places to Work
- Is Windows 8 Development Worth the Trouble?
- 8 Books Every IT Leader Should Read This Year
- 10 Hot Hadoop Startups to Watch
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Logicalis eBook: SAP HANA: The Need for Speed Without timely business insights, organizations today can suffer logistical, manufacturing, and even financial disaster in a matter of minutes
- Neustar 2014 DDoS Attacks and Impact Report For the third consecutive year, Neustar surveyed hundreds of companies on distributed denial of service (DDoS) attacks. The survey reveals evidence that the...
- Acxiom Case Study This case study, which focuses on Acxiom, explores how the company was able to secure employee data, reduce migration costs and boost productivity...
- Windows® XP Migration: Protect and Secure Critical Data With the end of the Microsoft Windows XP operating system's lifecycle on April 8, 2014, businesses are faced with the decision to migrate...
- Top 4 Digital Signage Fails Join RMG Networks for a look at four of the most common reasons digital signage fails in corporate businesses. Learn about strategies to...
- Building Tomorrow's Infrastructure Listen to this podcast to discover how Crider Foods worked with PC Connection to update their IT infrastructure, while maintaining compliance and control. All Wireless Carriers White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!