AT&T boosts LTE coverage to 113 markets
Goal is to reach 300 million people with the faster wireless service by the end of 2014
Computerworld - AT&T said it added four new LTE wireless markets on Monday, for a total of 113 markets nationwide.
The four new markets are mid-sized cities: Auburn, Ala., Grand Rapids, Mich., Nashua, N.H., and Wilkes-Barre, Pa. AT&T previously lit up many of the nation's largest cities with the faster wireless service.
The carrier also reported adding another six LTE markets last week.
As of Monday, AT&T said its LTE coverage can reach 160 million people with a goal of reaching 300 million by the end of 2014.
Verizon Wireless has already reached AT&T's goal, and offers LTE in more than 440 cities, making it the largest LTE carrier in the world. Sprint recently said it had reached 43 markets.
LTE coverage is clearly seen as a competitive differentiator by the carriers, although it isn't clear whether one carrier will have significantly faster downloads with LTE once users crowd cell towers with LTE-ready smartphones.
AT&T users have seen 50 Mbps downloads on some new, uncrowded LTE networks, but the average in crowded areas is from 8 Mbps to 12 Mbps on all the carriers.
Matt Hamblen covers mobile and wireless, smartphones and other handhelds, and wireless networking for Computerworld. Follow Matt on Twitter at @matthamblen or subscribe to Matt's RSS feed. His email address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read more about Wireless Carriers in Computerworld's Wireless Carriers Topic Center.
- Breaking BlackBerry: Your transition plan in 10 easy steps The move from BlackBerry should be a methodical approach that turns off the BES lights in a phased and methodical manner as you...
- Intelligent Imaging for Improved Banking Performance and Profitability A new generation of "Intelligent Imaging" solutions has emerged that is helping banks remove the burden of paper in legacy processes, like loan...
- IDG Research Survey: Are you Paying Too Much for Your NMS? Feel like you're paying too much for network monitoring? You're not alone. This survey brief summarizes findings from research recently fielded by IDG...
- 2013 Network Management Software (NMS) Buyers Guide This white paper contains an independent comparison study of six different network management solutions and provides guidance on how you can choose the...
- On-Demand Webinar: Transform Your Datacenter with Cisco ACI and Citrix NetScaler Learn how Citrix NetScaler -- the leader in public clouds, integrates with Cisco ACI to enable the enterprise network transition to a new...
- Cloud and Collaboration: Driving Your Business Value Mission Critical Cloud from Peer 1 Hosting is enterprise-grade. All Wireless Carriers White Papers | Webcasts