Riverbed Granite takes iSCSI across the WAN
Granite Core and Edge appliances eliminate the gap between storage in the data center and servers in the branch
Infoworld - Bringing branch office servers and file shares back to the data center is generally easy to do, especially with the use of WAN optimization solutions. But sometimes -- for the sake of performance, practicality, or politics -- a server simply must remain in the branch. It was for these intransigent servers, and to satisfy the needs of both server-hugging branch offices and control-hungry IT, that Riverbed Granite was born.
By pairing appliances at the edge and at the core, Granite allows IT to "project" virtual machines and iSCSI storage volumes out to the branch office while keeping the actual assets in the data center. Through innovative technologies, Granite closes the gap between physical servers in the branch office and storage in the data center. As a result, VMware ESX and Microsoft Hyper-V servers running in the branch can launch virtual machines across the WAN, and the VMs can write back to storage located in the data center.
[ Also on InfoWorld: Review: Riverbed Steelhead closes the WAN gap | Use server virtualization to get highly reliable failover at a fraction of the usual cost. Find out how in InfoWorld's High Availability Virtualization Deep Dive PDF special report. ]
Granite is available as a stand-alone product or as a bundled component on a Steelhead EX appliance. When used in combination with Steelhead WAN acceleration, performance improves dramatically, especially on subsequent VM launches, to rival the speed of true local storage.
To continue reading, register here to become an Insider
It's FREE to join
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Stock Shock: The effect of project and portfolio management on share price In this independent report, you'll see the intrinsic connection between long-term capital investment and short term market performance -- and how this can...
- In the Firing Line CEOs Are Increasingly Being Held Accountable; How susceptible is the CEO's reputation to poor performance across the project portfolio?
- The Brave New World of Customer-Centric Manufacturing The Unique Opportunity for Manufacturers to Better Understand their Consumers
- See the Possibilities Utilizing Data Visualization Do you simply want to collect data, or do you want to derive business insights from it? What if you could quickly and...
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources...
- Testimonial: Cystic Fibrosis Trust Peter Hawkins, the Head of IT for Cystic Fibrosis Trust, discusses the role CommVault's Simpana software platform plays in improving the company's information... All Data Center White Papers | Webcasts