Riverbed Granite takes iSCSI across the WAN
Granite Core and Edge appliances eliminate the gap between storage in the data center and servers in the branch
Infoworld - Bringing branch office servers and file shares back to the data center is generally easy to do, especially with the use of WAN optimization solutions. But sometimes -- for the sake of performance, practicality, or politics -- a server simply must remain in the branch. It was for these intransigent servers, and to satisfy the needs of both server-hugging branch offices and control-hungry IT, that Riverbed Granite was born.
By pairing appliances at the edge and at the core, Granite allows IT to "project" virtual machines and iSCSI storage volumes out to the branch office while keeping the actual assets in the data center. Through innovative technologies, Granite closes the gap between physical servers in the branch office and storage in the data center. As a result, VMware ESX and Microsoft Hyper-V servers running in the branch can launch virtual machines across the WAN, and the VMs can write back to storage located in the data center.
[ Also on InfoWorld: Review: Riverbed Steelhead closes the WAN gap | Use server virtualization to get highly reliable failover at a fraction of the usual cost. Find out how in InfoWorld's High Availability Virtualization Deep Dive PDF special report. ]
Granite is available as a stand-alone product or as a bundled component on a Steelhead EX appliance. When used in combination with Steelhead WAN acceleration, performance improves dramatically, especially on subsequent VM launches, to rival the speed of true local storage.
To continue reading, register here to become an Insider
It's FREE to join
- Why Dell PowerEdge VRTX for ROBO and Small Offices Remote and branch offices, as well as small business, often have the dilemma of balancing office productivity with the complexity of providing IT...
- Achieve Deeper Network Security and Application Control Next-generation firewalls (NGFWs) have emerged to revolutionize network security as we once knew it. Yet to safeguard an organization from today's ever-evolving threats,...
- It's Who You Know: CDW + CISCO Unified Communications and Collaboration When it comes to unified communications and collaboration, it's not just what you know. It's who you know. That's why we partner with...
- How to Modernize Your IT Infrastructure & Streamline Operations Increasing line of business demands? Shrinking IT budget? See how Red Hat can help you meet growing.
- Live Webcast 5 Steps to Assuring Quality of Experience In order to align monitoring and management practices with the true demands of the business, IT professionals must expand beyond traditional comfort zones...
- Live Webcast Master the Changing SAP Landscape with Performance Management SAP landscapes are not getting simpler. Gradually, business processes that used to be contained on a single SAP system now involve a range...
- Navigating the New Wireless Landscape Thriving in the new wireless landscape View Now>>
- Deep Dive into Advanced Networking and Security with Hybrid Cloud Security and networking are among the top concerns when moving workloads to the cloud. VMware vCloud® Hybrid Service™ enables you to extend your... All Networking White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!