Motorola Mobility to close most operations in S. Korea
500 jobs lost in Google's continued global restructuring
Computerworld - Motorola Mobility will close down most operations in South Korea in 2013 as part of an ongoing restructuring under Google ownership.
The decision is estimated to affect about 500 jobs in South Korea and follows a decision made a month ago to close down most international Motorola websites and to lay off about 4,000 workers.
Motorola Mobility said in a statement that it began telling staff in South Korea on Monday about "plans to close most of our operations in Korea, including our research and development and consumer mobile device marketing organization."
The statement said the changes "reflect our plans to consolidate our global R&D efforts to foster collaboration, and to focus more attention on markets where we are best positioned to compete effectively."
The statement was first reported by The Next Web early Monday.
Matt Hamblen covers mobile and wireless, smartphones and other handhelds, and wireless networking for Computerworld. Follow Matt on Twitter at @matthamblen or subscribe to Matt's RSS feed. His email address is email@example.com.
Read more about Mobile/Wireless in Computerworld's Mobile/Wireless Topic Center.
- Securing the enterprise workspace: protect your organization while supporting mobility and BYOD Read this white paper to learn ways to bolster security across enterprise networks while giving employees simple, authorized remote access to corporate applications...
- Transforming enterprise applications for mobile environments Read this white paper for tips on how to prepare critical applications to be securely accessed from an array of company-owned and personal...
- Future-proof your mobility strategy with Dell Enterprise Mobility Management Read this paper to discover best practices to future-proof your mobile strategy in the evolving world of devices, operating systems, work habits and...
- Enabling devices and device management for your mobility/BYOD program Read this white paper to learn how to support employees with the best devices to increase flexibility, productivity and job satisfaction.
- Don't Believe the Hype: Not All Containers are Created Equal Hear executives discuss the 3 C's of Secure Mobility-content, credentials, and configurations-and learn the inherent security risks to your organization of using MDM...
- Navigating the New Wireless Landscape Thriving in the new wireless landscape View Now>> All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts