A security researcher has found that the Fly Delta application shares a hardware identifier, the UDID, with ad networks
A UDID is a 40-character sequence of letters and numbers assigned to a piece of hardware, such as an iPhone or an iPad. Developers have used UDIDs for authentication and tracking purposes, but the practice is frowned upon as a potential privacy concern. In March, Apple stopped accepting iPhone and iPad applications for submission to the store that collect and share UDIDs.
Soltani analyzed Fly Delta using an application called MobileScope, that he and two other researchers, David Campbell and Aldo Cortesi, developed. MobileScope analyzes mobile applications to see what information the applications handle.
Delta could face a penalty of $2,500 for each time a non-compliant mobile application is downloaded, the attorney general's office said. The application has been downloaded millions of times from Google's Play and Apple's iTunes application markets, according to the lawsuit.
Send news tips and comments to firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow me on Twitter: @jeremy_kirk
- Single-Vendor Security Ecosystems Offer Concrete Benefits Over Point Solutions IT security decision-makers from companies with 100 to 5,000 employees evaluates the current endpoint security solution market based on Forrester's own market data,...
- Case Study: Intuit Turns to Self-Service IT Intuit empowered its users to resolve their own IT issues with a consumer-like experience to free IT to focus on more strategic initiatives....
- Automation for a Better Tomorrow Check out the five most common annoyances facing enterprise IT service desks today, and how automation can resolve all of them. Download the...
- Beyond the Enterprise App Store Leverage proactive, secure and automated IT Service delivery to move beyond the traditional App Store and empower your users. Read the white paper...
- Business-driven data protection Setting up data protection infrastructures with your organizations' core mission or business in mind is key. In this webinar, the ARCserve team will...
- On-Demand Webinar: Mind the Gap! Watch the webinar featuring Bob Janssen, CTO and Co-Founder of RES Software, to start building a solid foundation for business and IT to... All Security White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!