Australian police warn against using Apple Maps application
Victoria Police called Apple Maps' inaccuracies a 'potentially life-threatening issue'
IDG News Service - Australian police are warning people not to rely on Apple's new mobile mapping application after several motorists ended up in a semi-arid national park where temperatures can reach 115 degrees F and there is no water supply.
Police in the town of Mildura, which is in the Australian state of Victoria, issued a news release on Monday saying they've responded to several drivers who became stranded in Murray Sunset National Park.
Apple's Maps application, introduced in iOS 6, shows Mildura near part of the park when it is actually located about 44 miles (70 km) to the northeast, according to police. Some motorists have been stranded for a day without food or water, walking long distances through dangerous terrain to get phone reception, police said.
Police, who called the problem a "potentially life-threatening issue," said they have contacted Apple and advised that people use other mapping programs until Apple's program is fixed.
Apple replaced Google's mapping application, which it had shipped with iPhones through the 4S model, with the company's own application in iOS 6, which was released on Sept. 19. Users have complained that Apple Maps wasn't accurate and contained errors.
Apple on Monday referred to CEO Tim Cook's apology on Oct. 26 in which he said the company was "extremely sorry" for bungling Maps. Cook said the application would improve with time as users reported problems. Until then, he advised users could use Microsoft's Bing, Google Maps or Nokia's Waze.
Send news tips and comments to firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow me on Twitter: @jeremy_kirk
- Assessing ROI for Mobile Acceleration Clients This EMA® paper examines the business case for deploying mobile WAN optimization client software and builds a ROI model based on the experiences...
- The Apple-ization of the Enterprise: Understanding IT's New World Read this paper for how to tackle Apple-ization (and the related consumerization of IT and Bring Your Own Device/BYOD).
- A Practical Introduction to Enterprise Mobility Management Read the white paper to better understand the basic concepts within mobility management and to learn how you can apply EMM technology to...
- Enterprise Mobility: A Checklist for Secure Containerization The advantages and disadvantages of the multiple approaches to containerization. Learn More>>
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Mobile Security: Containerizing Enterprise Data In this on-demand webinar, Fixmo's Lee Cocking, VP of corporate strategy, explains why Apple-ization trends like mobility and "bring-your-own-device" (BYOD) are driving the... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!