Android update brings Notes problems that IBM will fix next week
An upgrade to Android 4.2.1 Jelly Bean has left some cell phone users without reliable access to their Notes corporate email
IDG News Service - IBM plans to issue fixes early next week for glitches that have hit Notes users who upgraded to the latest version of Google's Android OS.
The problems occur on phones and tablets running Android 4.2.1 Jelly Bean, which Google recently began pushing to end-user devices.
One of the problems being experienced on cell phones has left users unable to reliably access their corporate email and calendar applications.
When the Notes email client is opened on phones running the OS, users are initially met with a message that advises: "As a result of an update to Lotus Traveler, your local data has been removed and will be replaced during the next sync." An initial sync returns the data, but a few hours later the problem reoccurs and opening the mail application returns the message, "There is no mail in this folder."
The mail and calendar haven't been lost. They remain on the Notes server and accessible via a desktop client or mobile Web interface, but the Android applications have trouble accessing them.
Some tablet users face a different problem.
They encounter greyed-out "send" and "save" boxes, but turning the tablet through 90 degrees fixes the problem.
"The minor bugs popped up as a result of the new OS mid-last week, and we immediately resolved the problem and built a fix available for clients," said Karen Lilla, a spokeswoman for IBM in Boston.
The fix is available to IT departments that call IBM's support line, at +1-800-426-7378, and two hotfixes will be released on IBM's Fixcentral site on Monday.
"On Tuesday, December 11, IBM will release Traveler 8.3.1 UP2 which will include the fix," said Lilla. "The fixes are applied to the Traveler server and through our auto client update feature, they will be distributed to end users. The end-user simply needs to accept/apply the update when it shows up on their device."
Martyn Williams covers mobile telecoms, Silicon Valley and general technology breaking news for The IDG News Service. Follow Martyn on Twitter at @martyn_williams. Martyn's e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org
- CIOs Deliver Productivity Breakthroughs with Intelligent Digital Signage Retailers have long recognized the influence that digital signage provides over a shopper's point-of-purchase decision making process.
- 2014 Gartner Magic Quadrant Report For the 7th year in a row, Riverbed is in the "Leaders" Quadrant of the 2014 Magic Quadrant for WAN Optimization Controllers. In...
- Improving Business Value of WAN Optimization Want to achieve faster ROI with WAN optimization? Read the latest IDC report and discover how you can cut IT costs without compromising...
- IDC ROI Infographic Trends such as evolving communication patterns, connection types, applications and bandwidth can have an impact on enterprise organizations. Learn how IT organizations can...
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt.
- Top 4 Digital Signage Fails Join RMG Networks for a look at four of the most common reasons digital signage fails in corporate businesses. Learn about strategies to... All Applications White Papers | Webcasts