Former Anonymous member convicted in attacks against PayPal, MasterCard, Visa
Former hacktivist 'Nerdo' was found guilty of conspiring to attack companies as part of Anonymous' Operation Payback
IDG News Service - A 22-year-old U.K. man was convicted for his involvement in a series of distributed denial-of-service attacks launched by the hacktivist group Anonymous against PayPal, MasterCard, Visa and other companies in 2010.
Christopher Weatherhead, of Northampton, U.K., was convicted Thursday at London's Southwark Crown Court on one count of conspiracy to impair the operation of computers, contrary to the U.K. Criminal Law Act of 1977, the U.K.'s Crown Prosecution Service said in a blog post.
Weatherhead, who used the online handle "Nerdo," was arrested in January 2011 and was charged in September that same year with computer-related offenses in relation to Anonymous' "Operation Payback" attack campaign.
Denial-of-service attacks launched as part of "Operation Payback" originally targeted companies and organizations from the music industry that were involved in combating online piracy. However, the campaign later switched its focus toward PayPal, MasterCard, Visa and other financial companies, because of their decision to stop processing donations or providing other services to Wikileaks.
Three other men arrested in the U.K. in connection with the same attacks, Jake Birchall, Ashley Rhodes and Peter Gibson, pleaded guilty earlier this year to one count each of conspiracy to impair the operation of computers.
According to the Crown Prosecution Service, the DDoS attacks cost PayPal, MasterCard, Visa, the British Recorded Music Industry, Ministry of Sound and the International Federation of the Phonographic Industry APS3.5 million ($5.6 million) in additional staffing, software and loss of sales.
Russell Tyner, crown advocate for the CPS Organised Crime Division, described Weatherhead in a statement Thursday as a "cyber criminal who waged a sophisticated and orchestrated campaign of online attacks." This was not a victimless crime, he said.
During his hearing on Thursday, Weatherhead told the court that he was only an observer to some of the attacks and only acted as communications manager for Anonymous, taking care of some chat rooms, The Guardian reported.
The judge said that he wants to have as much information as possible before sentencing Weatherhead and the other three co-conspirators, but described the offenses as serious and warned that they could face jail time.
Weatherhead was released on bail and is banned from using Internet chat rooms and posting online under a different name aside from his own. He will be sentenced in January next year at a date that has yet to be set.
This pilot fish is a contractor at a military base, working on some very cool fire-control systems for tanks. But when he spots something obviously wrong during a live-fire test, he can't get the firing-range commander's attention.
- IT Certification Study Tips
- Register for this Computerworld Insider Study Tip guide and gain access to hundreds of premium content articles, cheat sheets, product reviews and more.
- Reduce federal infrastructure risk with compliance management and situational awareness
- IBM continuous monitoring and management solutions deliver real-time situational awareness to help federal agencies understand vulnerabilities, and protect the infrastructure.
- Comprehensive Advanced Threat Defense
- The hot topic in the information security industry these days is "Advanced Threat Defense" (ATD). This paper describes a comprehensive, network-based approach to...
- Advanced Threat Defense: A Comprehensive Approach
- In this interview, Peter George, president, General Dynamics Fidelis Cybersecurity Solutions, explains why we need more than anti-malware, and what constitutes a comprehensive...
- Market Overview: Digital Customer Experience Delivery Platforms
- Forrester states that businesses today struggle to understand and use the tools necessary to create and manage unified, multichannel digital customer experiences across...
- The Growing Demand for Rich Media
- This white paper discusses how IBM Customer Experience Suite Rich Media Edition can automate rich media workflows, from collaborating with creative agencies and... All Government IT White Papers
- On-demand webinar - 7 Keys to Service Catalog Implementation Success Watch this webinar to learn 7 crucial keys to make your service catalog a success!
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt.
- IBM FlashSystem V840: Leveraging Software-Defined Flash to Drive Your Business With end-to-end, tightly integrated functionality and super-fast flash technology, products like IBM FlashSystem V840 Enterprise Performance Solution empower businesses to leverage the efficiency...
- Leveraging Flash Storage to Accelerate Oracle Real Application Clusters Join this webinar to understand the latest solid-state storage trends, the specific applications driving solid-state storage deployments and the benefits of deploying the...
- Top 4 Digital Signage Fails Join RMG Networks for a look at four of the most common reasons digital signage fails in corporate businesses. Learn about strategies to...
- All Government IT Webcasts