Apple devices coming to T-Mobile USA in 2013
The deal comes as T-Mobile prepares to launch a high-speed LTE network
IDG News Service - It looks like the iPhone will finally be coming to T-Mobile USA.
Deutsche Telekom, the German parent of the only major U.S. wireless carrier not to offer the iPhone, says it has a deal to begin selling Apple devices in the U.S. in 2013.
The news came with little fanfare, buried halfway through a news release on capital expenditure plans for the coming year, and occupied a single line: "T-Mobile USA has entered into an agreement with Apple to bring products to market together in 2013."
Precisely what Apple devices might go on sale isn't spelled out, but Apple offers just two that run on cellular networks: the iPhone and iPad.
The deal comes as T-Mobile is preparing to launch a wireless network based on the high-speed LTE technology in 2013. Its current network is based on the slower HSPA+ standard.
T-Mobile USA has lost out on the iPhone, which continues to be the most popular handset in the U.S. It has attempted to court subscribers of rival AT&T with lower rates, but the impact of such a promotion could never match selling the phone itself.
Deutsche Telekom said it plans to spend 9.8 billion euros ($12.7 billion) next year building out its network. It's an increase of 1.5 billion euros from this year and reflects additional investment in high-speed LTE wireless networks in the U.S. and Germany.
T-Mobile USA is in the process of acquiring smaller carrier Metro PCS.
A spokesman for T-Mobile USA declined to offer any additional information on deal.
Martyn Williams covers mobile telecoms, Silicon Valley and general technology breaking news for The IDG News Service. Follow Martyn on Twitter at @martyn_williams. Martyn's e-mail address is email@example.com
- The Apple-ization of the Enterprise: Understanding IT's New World Read this paper for how to tackle Apple-ization (and the related consumerization of IT and Bring Your Own Device/BYOD).
- A Practical Introduction to Enterprise Mobility Management Read the white paper to better understand the basic concepts within mobility management and to learn how you can apply EMM technology to...
- Enterprise Mobility: A Checklist for Secure Containerization The advantages and disadvantages of the multiple approaches to containerization. Learn More>>
- Enterprise Endpoint Backup Checklist Read this checklist to learn how to create a back up strategy to quickly and easily protect your endpoint data.
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Mobile Security: Containerizing Enterprise Data In this on-demand webinar, Fixmo's Lee Cocking, VP of corporate strategy, explains why Apple-ization trends like mobility and "bring-your-own-device" (BYOD) are driving the... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts