Apple devices coming to T-Mobile USA in 2013
The deal comes as T-Mobile prepares to launch a high-speed LTE network
IDG News Service - It looks like the iPhone will finally be coming to T-Mobile USA.
Deutsche Telekom, the German parent of the only major U.S. wireless carrier not to offer the iPhone, says it has a deal to begin selling Apple devices in the U.S. in 2013.
The news came with little fanfare, buried halfway through a news release on capital expenditure plans for the coming year, and occupied a single line: "T-Mobile USA has entered into an agreement with Apple to bring products to market together in 2013."
Precisely what Apple devices might go on sale isn't spelled out, but Apple offers just two that run on cellular networks: the iPhone and iPad.
The deal comes as T-Mobile is preparing to launch a wireless network based on the high-speed LTE technology in 2013. Its current network is based on the slower HSPA+ standard.
T-Mobile USA has lost out on the iPhone, which continues to be the most popular handset in the U.S. It has attempted to court subscribers of rival AT&T with lower rates, but the impact of such a promotion could never match selling the phone itself.
Deutsche Telekom said it plans to spend 9.8 billion euros ($12.7 billion) next year building out its network. It's an increase of 1.5 billion euros from this year and reflects additional investment in high-speed LTE wireless networks in the U.S. and Germany.
T-Mobile USA is in the process of acquiring smaller carrier Metro PCS.
A spokesman for T-Mobile USA declined to offer any additional information on deal.
Martyn Williams covers mobile telecoms, Silicon Valley and general technology breaking news for The IDG News Service. Follow Martyn on Twitter at @martyn_williams. Martyn's e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org
- Breaking BlackBerry: Your transition plan in 10 easy steps The move from BlackBerry should be a methodical approach that turns off the BES lights in a phased and methodical manner as you...
- Intelligent Imaging for Improved Banking Performance and Profitability A new generation of "Intelligent Imaging" solutions has emerged that is helping banks remove the burden of paper in legacy processes, like loan...
- Cloud Computing Drives IT and Business Agility Hybrid Cloud Accelerates Time to Value What is the main focus for IT in your organization - cost or agility? Many IT discussions today focus on cost controls rather...
- Infographic:10 Reasons to Choose vCloud Air Looking to create an agile, productive, and efficient IT environment? Read this simple infographic to learn about the benefits that VMware vCloud® Air™...
- Cloud BI in Action: Recorded Webinar of Customer, Kony, Inc. See how Kony, Inc., a leading enterprise mobility company, is using TIBCO Jaspersoft for Amazon Web Services and Redshift to achieve embedded analytics...
- Cloud BI Overview: Jaspersoft for AWS Check out this overview of Jaspersoft for AWS, to easily and affordably build business intelligence solutions as well as embed visualizations and analytics... All Wireless Carriers White Papers | Webcasts