Citrix to buy mobile device management firm Zenprise
The buyout is the latest in a series of acquisitions by Citrix over the past two years
Computerworld - Citrix today announced it has entered into an agreement to buy Zenprise, a mobile device management (MDM) software vendor.
This year, Citrix expanded its mobile capabilities with its CloudGateway application, which offers a secure way to deliver mobile, web and Windows apps and data to any corporate mobile device.
After the acquisition, which is expected to close in the first quarter of 2013, Citrix intends to integrate the Zenprise MDM software with its Citrix CloudGateway and Me@Work software for managing mobile apps and data.
Citrix said the integration of Zenprise's software will enable it to manage mobile devices, applications and data from a single, integrated enterprise product line.
"Zenprise was a clear choice" for the company because of its leading MDM product, which is being used on one million devices, said Sumit Dhawan, general manager of Mobile Solutions at Citrix. "With a complete Citrix enterprise mobility solution, customers have all the necessary pieces to manage and secure mobile apps, content and devices."
The Zenprise buyout is the latest in a series of acquisitions by Citrix over the past two years. It bought mobile optimization company ByteMobile earlier this year, and data sharing and synchronization vendor ShareFile and SaaS provider Cloud.com in 2011.
Jack Gold, president and principal Analyst of J.Gold Associates, said the Citrix acquisition of Zenprise marks "the beginning of the end for stand alone MDM vendors. More acquisitions will come and those left behind will fade away longer term."
Most of the MDM players, Gold said, are relatively small and even the biggest are probably only in the $50M range in terms of revenue. Along with MobileIron and Air Watch, Zenprise was in the leading pack of MDM vendors, he said. "What Citrix wanted was to extend their mobile presence, and Zenprise gives them that. Citrix also has a mobile management offering, bit it was not a leadership product compared with the MDM vendors," Gold said.
Additionally, Zenprise will provide Citrix with application security and management, which is something Citrix is known for in the PC arena, but that it has not been successful with the mobile device space, Gold added.
Citrix and Zenprise did not disclose the terms of the planned merger.
Lucas Mearian covers storage, disaster recovery and business continuity, financial services infrastructure and health care IT for Computerworld. Follow Lucas on Twitter at @lucasmearian or subscribe to Lucas's RSS feed . His e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read more about Mobile Device Management in Computerworld's Mobile Device Management Topic Center.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The Critical Role of Support in Your Enterprise Mobility Management Strategy Most business leaders underestimate the importance of tech support when they choose an EMM solution. Here's what to put on your checklist.
- Separating Work and Personal at the Platform Level: How BlackBerry Balance Works BlackBerry® Balance™ separates work from personal on the same mobile device, right at a platform level. Find out how it can work for...
- Protection for Every Enterprise: How BlackBerry Security Works Get an IT-level review of BlackBerry® Security, addressing data leakage protection, certified encryption, containerization and much more.
- Future Focus: What's Coming in Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) Find out why Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) solutions that are truly future-ready must be designed to enable Machine-to-Machine (M2M) capabilities and much more.
- Live Webcast On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Live Webcast Unmasking the Differences between Consumer and Enterprise File Sync & Share The consumerization of IT combined with the rapid pace of the modern mobile workplace is forcing enterprise IT teams to evaluate file sync...
- Live Webcast Workforce Mobilization for Improved Productivity A mobility research director from Aberdeen discusses reasons for extending legacy applications to mobile devices, and an integration strategist from Attachmate shows how...
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the...
- Containerization Options: How to Choose the Best DLP Solution for Your Organization This webcast outlines a framework for making the right choice when it comes to containerization approaches, along with the pros and cons of... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts