Amazon Web Services continues Windows push with PowerShell
AWS Tools for Windows PowerShell provides over 550 commands for controlling Amazon's cloud-based services
IDG News Service - Amazon Web Services (AWS) has added PowerShell to the management options for its cloud, in a move that reaches out to the Windows community.
Part of Amazon's Microsoft push is to let developers and administrators manage their AWS services in a way that's natural to them, according to the company.
AWS Tools for Windows PowerShell provide over 550 so-called cmdlets for allowing administrators to make service calls or create scripts for automating cloud management, all from within the command line-based PowerShell environment. A cmdlet is a lightweight command that is used in PowerShell.
Twenty services from Amazon can be managed using Tools for Windows PowerShell, including Relational Database Service, Simple Storage Service (S3), Virtual Private Cloud and of course EC2 itself.
PowerShell is an important tool for Windows administrators, and a good addition to Amazon's cloud, according to Giorgio Nebuloni, research manager for servers at IDC.
While Amazon is making it easier to run Windows in its cloud, Microsoft has also quietly started to support Linux on its Azure cloud. But at some point it might try to target that part of the market more aggressively, according to Nebuloni.
The share of Windows deployments on Amazon's cloud is still relatively small compared to the number of Linux servers, Nebuloni said.
AWS Tools for Windows PowerShell canbe downloaded from Amazon's website, where there is also more information on how to use it.
Send news tips and comments to firstname.lastname@example.org
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- ESG: The IBM FlashSystem 840: Technical Evolution to Deliver Business Value In this whitepaper, you will learn how this high-speed storage technology has tremendous potential to support I/O-intensive and/or latency-sensitive applications.
- Choosing an MDM Platform: Where to Start the Conversation If you're in the early stages of choosing an MDM solution, or you're considering switching vendors, here are seven critical questions to ask...
- Axeda Platform Technical Overview This paper summarizes the major features of an IoT platform and explains how they simplify and speed the process of developing and deploying...
- Stock Shock: The effect of project and portfolio management on share price In this independent report, you'll see the intrinsic connection between long-term capital investment and short term market performance -- and how this can...
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well...
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources... All Cloud Computing White Papers | Webcasts