Amazon Web Services continues Windows push with PowerShell
AWS Tools for Windows PowerShell provides over 550 commands for controlling Amazon's cloud-based services
IDG News Service - Amazon Web Services (AWS) has added PowerShell to the management options for its cloud, in a move that reaches out to the Windows community.
Part of Amazon's Microsoft push is to let developers and administrators manage their AWS services in a way that's natural to them, according to the company.
AWS Tools for Windows PowerShell provide over 550 so-called cmdlets for allowing administrators to make service calls or create scripts for automating cloud management, all from within the command line-based PowerShell environment. A cmdlet is a lightweight command that is used in PowerShell.
Twenty services from Amazon can be managed using Tools for Windows PowerShell, including Relational Database Service, Simple Storage Service (S3), Virtual Private Cloud and of course EC2 itself.
PowerShell is an important tool for Windows administrators, and a good addition to Amazon's cloud, according to Giorgio Nebuloni, research manager for servers at IDC.
While Amazon is making it easier to run Windows in its cloud, Microsoft has also quietly started to support Linux on its Azure cloud. But at some point it might try to target that part of the market more aggressively, according to Nebuloni.
The share of Windows deployments on Amazon's cloud is still relatively small compared to the number of Linux servers, Nebuloni said.
AWS Tools for Windows PowerShell canbe downloaded from Amazon's website, where there is also more information on how to use it.
Send news tips and comments to email@example.com
- CIOs Deliver Productivity Breakthroughs with Intelligent Digital Signage Retailers have long recognized the influence that digital signage provides over a shopper's point-of-purchase decision making process.
- The Forrester Wave™: File Sync And Share Platforms, Q3 2013 Download this Analyst report to read why IBM SmartCloud for Social Business was cited as a leader in The Forrester Wave™: File Sync...
- Brunswick Case Study By implementing IBM SmartCloud services, Brunswick estimates that it avoided hundreds of thousands of dollars in capital expenditures, and is saving up to...
- Cloud-to-Cloud Backup Case Study: AMAG Pharmaceuticals As an IT pioneer in the pharmaceuticals industry, AMAG realized that SaaS backup and recovery would give them the confidence to fully embrace...
- ElectricAccelerator: Dramatically Faster Builds and Test ElectricAccelerator dramatically speeds up builds and test by parallelizing jobs across clusters of physical or cloud CPUs.
- Electric Cloud: Your AnthillPro Alternative Many organizations have become leery about AnthillPro since its acquisition by IBM. In this webinar, learn why ElectricCommander is an excellent alternative to... All Cloud Computing White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!