Citigroup cutting IT jobs, shifting some work offshore
Tech staff seen heavily impacted by Citi plans to lay off 11,000 workers
Computerworld - Citigroup is cutting 11,000 jobs, many in IT, as part of a restructuring announced Wednesday.
The job cuts are part of a plan to save about $900 million through a variety of actions, including "increasing standardization and the use of automated processes," as well as streamlining the organizational structure.
The financial services plan, in its announcement today, said it will also cut costs by consolidating functions and moving certain job functions to "lower-cost locations."
Citigroup, which reported that it employed 266,000 workers at the end of last year, provided few details about its various actions, such as what benefits the standardization will bring. A spokesman did confirm, however, that moving some jobs lower cost locations meant offshore sites.
Of the total number of jobs being cut, about half appear to be in its operations and technology areas, according to the announcement.
Citigroup, unlike many firms announcing layoffs, was upfront about its decision to move work to so-called lower cost locations. That may be due to the company's longtime experience in using overseas services, including running its own offshore centers.
In 2008, for instance, Citigroup sold its IT subsidiary in India, Citi Technology Services Ltd., to Indian services firm Wipro Ltd., for $127 million.
"Citi is one of the most experienced banks for offshoring both banking operations and IT processes," said Phil Fersht, the CEO and head of research at HfS, an outsourcing research and advisory firm.
"This is a well-thought out strategy to shift much of their back office to low-cost locations where they have plenty of capacity to scale-up operations, notably India and the Philippines," Fersht said.
For the onshore operations, Citigroup's move will make it "leaner and more focused on the more complex IT work that requires frequent interaction with the business units," said Fersht.
The onshore Citigroup IT staff will also have to spend more time working with their offshore counterparts to manage projects, said Fersht.
Patrick Thibodeau covers SaaS and enterprise applications, outsourcing, government IT policies, data centers and IT workforce issues for Computerworld. Follow Patrick on Twitter at @DCgov, or subscribe to Patrick's RSS feed . His e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read more about IT Careers in Computerworld's IT Careers Topic Center.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Future Focus: What's Coming in Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) Find out why Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) solutions that are truly future-ready must be designed to enable Machine-to-Machine (M2M) capabilities and much more.
- The CIO's Guide to Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) This guide will help those making an EMM platform decision make the best choice for their organization.
- Yankee Group: BlackBerry Results Refute Rumors of its Demise Yankee Group: BlackBerry® is stronger than the press makes it out to be.
- Your New EMM Platform: How to Streamline the Migration Smartphone migration can be resource-intensive and challenging. Find out how outsourcing the process can save significant time and money.
- Live Webcast Increasing the Value of Your Reports and Dashboards Learn how incorporating other analytical capabilities such as predictive modeling and visualization can increase the value of your reports and dashboards by providing...
- Testimonial: Cystic Fibrosis Trust Peter Hawkins, the Head of IT for Cystic Fibrosis Trust, discusses the role CommVault's Simpana software platform plays in improving the company's information...
- Increasing the Value of Your Reports and Dashboards Learn how incorporating other analytical capabilities such as predictive modeling and visualization can increase the value of your reports and dashboards by providing... All Management White Papers | Webcasts