Citigroup cutting IT jobs, shifting some work offshore
Tech staff seen heavily impacted by Citi plans to lay off 11,000 workers
Computerworld - Citigroup is cutting 11,000 jobs, many in IT, as part of a restructuring announced Wednesday.
The job cuts are part of a plan to save about $900 million through a variety of actions, including "increasing standardization and the use of automated processes," as well as streamlining the organizational structure.
The financial services plan, in its announcement today, said it will also cut costs by consolidating functions and moving certain job functions to "lower-cost locations."
Citigroup, which reported that it employed 266,000 workers at the end of last year, provided few details about its various actions, such as what benefits the standardization will bring. A spokesman did confirm, however, that moving some jobs lower cost locations meant offshore sites.
Of the total number of jobs being cut, about half appear to be in its operations and technology areas, according to the announcement.
Citigroup, unlike many firms announcing layoffs, was upfront about its decision to move work to so-called lower cost locations. That may be due to the company's longtime experience in using overseas services, including running its own offshore centers.
In 2008, for instance, Citigroup sold its IT subsidiary in India, Citi Technology Services Ltd., to Indian services firm Wipro Ltd., for $127 million.
"Citi is one of the most experienced banks for offshoring both banking operations and IT processes," said Phil Fersht, the CEO and head of research at HfS, an outsourcing research and advisory firm.
"This is a well-thought out strategy to shift much of their back office to low-cost locations where they have plenty of capacity to scale-up operations, notably India and the Philippines," Fersht said.
For the onshore operations, Citigroup's move will make it "leaner and more focused on the more complex IT work that requires frequent interaction with the business units," said Fersht.
The onshore Citigroup IT staff will also have to spend more time working with their offshore counterparts to manage projects, said Fersht.
Patrick Thibodeau covers SaaS and enterprise applications, outsourcing, government IT policies, data centers and IT workforce issues for Computerworld. Follow Patrick on Twitter at @DCgov, or subscribe to Patrick's RSS feed . His e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read more about IT Careers in Computerworld's IT Careers Topic Center.
- IT Certification Study Tips
- Register for this Computerworld Insider Study Tip guide and gain access to hundreds of premium content articles, cheat sheets, product reviews and more.
- Automating Cost Transparency
- By making all of the costs of running IT transparent, IT can change the way business units consume IT resources, drive down total...
- Cisco Case Study
- Before Cisco could effectively manage the business of IT, the company needed to improve the way it accounted for the cost and performance...
- IT Financial Metrics Primer
- This Executive Brief details financial and non-financial metrics that IT financial managers must use to foster conversations with business stakeholders.
- Finance - Interactive eGuide
- In this e-Guide, Computerworld, IDG News Service and IT World examine software-defined data centers, customer experience tools, and security issues that are top...
- Jyske Bank extends brand message to more than one million visitors a month
- IBM WebSphere Portal software helps bank offer a clearly differentiated digital experience All Financial IT White Papers
- Cloud and Collaboration: Driving Your Business Value Mission Critical Cloud from Peer 1 Hosting is enterprise-grade.
- Peer 1's Mission Critical Cloud: Your Cloud, Your Way Peer 1 Hosting's Mission Critical Cloud offers the ultimate in flexible customization of infrastructure, resources and support.
- Data Breaches - Don't Be a Headline Whether it's a HIPAA/HITECH, Sarbanes Oxley, Gramm-Leach-Bliley violation, or a State breach notification law, a data breach can have substantial legal and financial...
- Accelerate your innovation with IBM Bluemix™ Join us for a webcast introducing the new IBM BluemixTM. IBM Bluemix (www.bluemix.net) is a developer oriented Platform as a Service (PaaS) environment...
- Maximizing Availability for the Modern Data Center Check out this information-packed resource center for help in maximizing the availability of your data center - from overcoming challenges to choosing the...
- All Financial IT Webcasts