Skype confirms video messaging feature with legal change
The service will allow short video messages to be sent between subscribers
IDG News Service - Skype hasn't officially confirmed rumors of a video messaging service that's supposed to be coming to its platform, but an update to its terms of service on Wednesday did the job.
The video messaging service was first reported in September as a feature that would allow Skype users to send short, pre-recorded messages to other Skype users.
The update reveals that unlimited video messaging will be offered to users of the Skype Premium service. That service costs $8.99 per month, although customers can get discounts with a three-month or one-year contract.
"If you are a Skype Premium subscriber you can ... send and receive an unlimited number of Video Messages and any Video Messages you send and/or receive shall have no expiry date," the terms of service read.
"If you are not a Skype Premium subscriber, the number of Video Messages you can send are limited, however you can receive an unlimited number of Video Messages."
Further, messages sent and received by non-premium users will expire after 90 days, unless they come from a premium member:
"As a non-Skype Premium subscriber any Video Message you send or receive will expire within 90 days, except for Video Messages received from a Skype Premium subscriber or where you upgrade to a Skype Premium subscription before the 90 day expiry period ends, and in either case the Video Message shall cease to have an expiry date."
Skype did not respond to several requests for comment.
Martyn Williams covers mobile telecoms, Silicon Valley and general technology breaking news for The IDG News Service. Follow Martyn on Twitter at @martyn_williams. Martyn's e-mail address is email@example.com
- HTTP Status Code Cheat Sheet Look at the Graph, Find the Code and Boom - You're Solving Problems. Identifying and understanding common HTTP status codes can go a...
- Architects lead the next generation of data-driven applications Read this whitepaper to find out how application architects can quickly and confidently deliver long-lasting applications that minimize cost, complexity, and risk while...
- Server and System Admins Challenged to Keep Up with Storage Explosion Read this whitepaper to learn how administrators are leveraging their existing skills to simplify the management of storage and servers.
- A Modern Approach to the Data Deluge Read this whitepaper to learn how infrastructure leaders can confidently manage cost, complexity, and risk, capitalize on emerging technologies, and drive future innovation...
- PST Archiving: What is it and How is it Done? Learn more about what PST data is, the risks relating to it, and how the new PST Archiving feature in the Simpana 10...
- HP DevOps KnowledgeVault This interactive resource focuses on the evolution taking place in the world of software development, specifically the Agile development framework, and the gap... All Desktop Apps White Papers | Webcasts
Computerworld has launched its annual search for outstanding IT leaders who align technology with business goals. Nominate a top IT executive for the 2015 Premier 100 IT Leaders awards now through July 18.