AT&T launches free text messaging service for shoppers
AT&T Alerts relies on cell-tower location data to help smartphone users find nearby retail promotions and sales
Computerworld - AT&T Wednesday kicked-off a free text messaging alert service designed to help retail customers find discounts and promotions at nearby stores.
The service, called AT&T Alerts, works with all AT&T wireless phones except the iPhone 5. The new Apple smartphone will be compatible with the service sometime in the future, an AT&T spokeswoman said.
The opt-in AT&T Alerts service is relies on geo-location technology that sends alerts based on a user's buying preferences to a mobile device. The geo-location technology relies on nearby cell tower signals to find a phone, not the GPS function on a wireless phone, the spokeswoman noted.
AT&T Alerts uses insights the carrier gained from the Shop Alerts program it launched in a few cities last year.
To sign up for the service, AT&T wireless customers must text "JOIN" to ATTAlerts.
Brands involved in the promotions include The Gap, Staples, Zales and Last Call by Neiman Marcus, as well as product makers Duracell, Motorola, and the Discover credit card.
The text messages to and from AT&T are free, and customers signing up will receive $5 off of a minimum $10 purchase at ATT.com, the company said.
Matt Hamblen covers mobile and wireless, smartphones and other handhelds, and wireless networking for Computerworld. Follow Matt on Twitter at @matthamblen, or subscribe to Matt's RSS feed . His e-mail address is email@example.com.
Read more about E-business in Computerworld's E-business Topic Center.
- Tips for Driving User Adoption in New Technology Deployment Read this checklist on tips for driving user adoption to see where you stand.
- 5 Things You Didn't Know About Cloud Backup IT departments are embracing cloud backup, but there's a lot you need to know before choosing a service provider. Learn all the critical...
- What is this "File Sync" Thing and Why Should I Care About It? All of a sudden, getting a file from your work laptop to your iPad became as simple as clicking "Save." So it's no...
- The Truth About Cloud Security "Security" is the number one issue holding business leaders back from the cloud. But does the reality match the perception?
- NSS Labs & Cisco Present: Evaluating Leading Breach Detection Systems Today's constantly evolving advanced malware and APTs can evade point-in-time defenses to penetrate networks. Security professionals must evolve their strategy in lockstep to...
- Will the Real Endpoint Threat Detection and Response Please Stand Up? This webinar explores new technologies & process for protecting endpoints from advanced attackers as well as the innovations that are pushing the envelope... All Smartphones White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!