AT&T launches free text messaging service for shoppers
AT&T Alerts relies on cell-tower location data to help smartphone users find nearby retail promotions and sales
Computerworld - AT&T Wednesday kicked-off a free text messaging alert service designed to help retail customers find discounts and promotions at nearby stores.
The service, called AT&T Alerts, works with all AT&T wireless phones except the iPhone 5. The new Apple smartphone will be compatible with the service sometime in the future, an AT&T spokeswoman said.
The opt-in AT&T Alerts service is relies on geo-location technology that sends alerts based on a user's buying preferences to a mobile device. The geo-location technology relies on nearby cell tower signals to find a phone, not the GPS function on a wireless phone, the spokeswoman noted.
AT&T Alerts uses insights the carrier gained from the Shop Alerts program it launched in a few cities last year.
To sign up for the service, AT&T wireless customers must text "JOIN" to ATTAlerts.
Brands involved in the promotions include The Gap, Staples, Zales and Last Call by Neiman Marcus, as well as product makers Duracell, Motorola, and the Discover credit card.
The text messages to and from AT&T are free, and customers signing up will receive $5 off of a minimum $10 purchase at ATT.com, the company said.
Matt Hamblen covers mobile and wireless, smartphones and other handhelds, and wireless networking for Computerworld. Follow Matt on Twitter at @matthamblen, or subscribe to Matt's RSS feed . His e-mail address is email@example.com.
Read more about E-business in Computerworld's E-business Topic Center.
- Social Media Education: The New Edge for Success Failure to train for social media will cost your business money. A recent report showed how digitally prepared companies can unlock up to...
- Social Media in Technology: A Unified Strategy for Success Find out how social media is sparking a new era of customer and industry-understanding in technology enterprises and how industry leaders are overcoming...
- Printer Installer: Eliminating Print Servers Printer Installer is an on-premise web application that enables you to centrally manage and deploy Windows shared or direct iP printers.
- How Network Connections Drive Web Application Performance Users around the globe, on all sorts of devices, expect Web applications to function as seamlessly as desktop applications. This paper discusses the...
- It's not too late...Get Your Mobile Questions Answered Live! How can IT provide seamless and secure mobile communications and collaboration for all? Join this live Webcast as IDG asks an expert panel...
- Why do you need an enterprise mobile platform? Today companies must offer great apps that run on a range of devices, and connect to an exploding set of backend data. Appcelerator... All Internet White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!