AT&T launches free text messaging service for shoppers
AT&T Alerts relies on cell-tower location data to help smartphone users find nearby retail promotions and sales
Computerworld - AT&T Wednesday kicked-off a free text messaging alert service designed to help retail customers find discounts and promotions at nearby stores.
The service, called AT&T Alerts, works with all AT&T wireless phones except the iPhone 5. The new Apple smartphone will be compatible with the service sometime in the future, an AT&T spokeswoman said.
The opt-in AT&T Alerts service is relies on geo-location technology that sends alerts based on a user's buying preferences to a mobile device. The geo-location technology relies on nearby cell tower signals to find a phone, not the GPS function on a wireless phone, the spokeswoman noted.
AT&T Alerts uses insights the carrier gained from the Shop Alerts program it launched in a few cities last year.
To sign up for the service, AT&T wireless customers must text "JOIN" to ATTAlerts.
Brands involved in the promotions include The Gap, Staples, Zales and Last Call by Neiman Marcus, as well as product makers Duracell, Motorola, and the Discover credit card.
The text messages to and from AT&T are free, and customers signing up will receive $5 off of a minimum $10 purchase at ATT.com, the company said.
Matt Hamblen covers mobile and wireless, smartphones and other handhelds, and wireless networking for Computerworld. Follow Matt on Twitter at @matthamblen, or subscribe to Matt's RSS feed . His e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read more about E-business in Computerworld's E-business Topic Center.
- Capabilities You Need in an IP Address Management Solution A mismanaged IP space can cripple an otherwise healthy network. Take a moment to understand what you need in an enterprise-ready IPAM solution.
- IPv6 Fundamentals IPv6 is needed to sustain the growth of the Internet. The transition from IPv4 will require planning and likely some degree of support...
- 3G/4G Digital Signage Guide Today, the widespread availability of 3G and 4G cellular or wireless broadband networks enables digital signage to be deployed virtually anywhere.
- Enterprises in Motion: In-Vehicle Networks In a world where traditional tethers to the central office have all but vanished, enterprises that operate vehicle fleets require constant and dependable...
- Cloud BI in Action: Recorded Webinar of Customer, Kony, Inc. See how Kony, Inc., a leading enterprise mobility company, is using TIBCO Jaspersoft for Amazon Web Services and Redshift to achieve embedded analytics...
- Cloud BI Overview: Jaspersoft for AWS Check out this overview of Jaspersoft for AWS, to easily and affordably build business intelligence solutions as well as embed visualizations and analytics... All Internet White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!