AT&T launches free text messaging service for shoppers
AT&T Alerts relies on cell-tower location data to help smartphone users find nearby retail promotions and sales
Computerworld - AT&T Wednesday kicked-off a free text messaging alert service designed to help retail customers find discounts and promotions at nearby stores.
The service, called AT&T Alerts, works with all AT&T wireless phones except the iPhone 5. The new Apple smartphone will be compatible with the service sometime in the future, an AT&T spokeswoman said.
The opt-in AT&T Alerts service is relies on geo-location technology that sends alerts based on a user's buying preferences to a mobile device. The geo-location technology relies on nearby cell tower signals to find a phone, not the GPS function on a wireless phone, the spokeswoman noted.
AT&T Alerts uses insights the carrier gained from the Shop Alerts program it launched in a few cities last year.
To sign up for the service, AT&T wireless customers must text "JOIN" to ATTAlerts.
Brands involved in the promotions include The Gap, Staples, Zales and Last Call by Neiman Marcus, as well as product makers Duracell, Motorola, and the Discover credit card.
The text messages to and from AT&T are free, and customers signing up will receive $5 off of a minimum $10 purchase at ATT.com, the company said.
Matt Hamblen covers mobile and wireless, smartphones and other handhelds, and wireless networking for Computerworld. Follow Matt on Twitter at @matthamblen, or subscribe to Matt's RSS feed . His e-mail address is email@example.com.
Read more about E-business in Computerworld's E-business Topic Center.
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- IDC Report: The Future of eMail is Social This paper discusses the changing nature of collaboration and work fueled by the social Web by examining current email trends and the emergence...
- The Business of Social Business Social business represents a significant transformational opportunity for organizations. Read this whitepaper to learn more.
- Six Ways Your Small Business Can Save with Internet Phone Service Traditional phone systems present two main problems for businesses: limited features and high costs. As a result, small businesses are migrating to Internet...
Red Hat Enterprise Linux - The Original Cloud Operating System
Linux adoption is growing against a number of measures, such as the
number of supercomputers that run Linux and the size of the contributing...
- Supercharge Your Web and Mobile App Development with High-Productivity Hybrid Cloud Webinar: Hear from industry experts about the amazing power at the intersection of next-generation web and mobile application development and cloud platforms.
- Webinar: Building a Big Data solution that's production-ready Big data solutions are no longer just a nice-to-have. All Internet White Papers | Webcasts