Google revamps Gmail for iPhone, iPad; adds multiple account support
Roll-out goes much smoother than last year's debacle
Computerworld - Google on Tuesday rolled out version 2.0 of Gmail for iOS, a redesigned upgrade that supports up to five email accounts on Apple's iPhone and iPad.
Matthew Izatt, Google's Gmail product manager, announced the update yesterday in a blog post.
Google introduced Gmail for iOS in November 2011.
By most accounts, the launch of Gmail 2.0 went much smoother than the original last year. Then, Google pulled the app from Apple's App Store within minutes, issued an apology and admitted it had "messed up" by shipping a flawed version.
The company re-launched Gmail for iOS two weeks later.
Most reviews of Gmail 2.0 were positive -- Wired said it "rocks," ReadWrite noted it "doesn't suck anymore" -- but a few chastised the upgrade for still seeming too much like the Web edition. The Verge called it "a frustratingly mixed bag" and "ultimately flawed."
Besides the new support for multiple accounts, Gmail 2.0 also beefed up integration with Google+, the company's Facebook competitor; sported a flatter UI (user interface) akin to other Google designs; and offered in-app RSVPs to Google Calendar invitations.
The new Gmail for iOS is a free download from Apple's iTunes-based App Store.
Gregg Keizer covers Microsoft, security issues, Apple, Web browsers and general technology breaking news for Computerworld. Follow Gregg on Twitter at @gkeizer, or subscribe to Gregg's RSS feed . His e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read more about Web Apps in Computerworld's Web Apps Topic Center.
- Simple Solution, Big Capability Meet growing employee and business demands by connecting up to 1,000 users with powerful collaboration capabilities with a single, integrated platform -- Cisco...
- The DDoS Threat Spectrum Bolstered by favorable economics, today's global botnets are using distributed denial-of-service (DDoS) attacks to target firewalls, web services, and applications, often simultaneously.
- Need to Replace MS Threat Management Gateway? Read this article to learn how F5's Secure Web Gateway solution provides a full set of features that can help you successfully migrate...
- The Shortfall of Network Load Balancing Applications running across networks encounter a wide range of performance, security, and availability challenges as IT department strive to deliver fast, secure access...
- Maximizing Availability for the Modern Data Center Check out this information-packed resource center for help in maximizing the availability of your data center - from overcoming challenges to choosing the...
- Business-driven data protection Setting up data protection infrastructures with your organizations' core mission or business in mind is key. In this webinar, the ARCserve team will... All Web Apps White Papers | Webcasts