Nokia launches low-end Lumia 620; brings Windows Phone to China Mobile
The Windows Phone OS has less than a 2% share of China's smartphone market, say research firms
IDG News Service - Nokia said its new Lumia 620 handset is its most affordable Windows Phone 8 smartphone yet, priced $249 when bought without a contract.
In addition to the Lumia 620, Nokia also announced its first Windows Phone handset for China's largest carrier, China Mobile, in a move that could help popularize the Windows Phone OS in a country where its adoption is still low.
The Lumia 620 is the company's third Windows Phone 8 handset, and features a 3.8-inch touch screen with a resolution of 800 by 480 pixels, a 1GHz dual-core Snapdragon S4 processor, 512MB of RAM and 8GB of internal memory. It also has a Micro SD card slot for up to 64GB of additional storage. The handset has a rear-facing 5 megapixel camera and a front-facing camera. It will arrive in the first quarter next year.
In China, Nokia also unveiled a version of its Lumia 920 flagship phone specifically built for China Mobile's 3G network. The Lumia 920T, which also runs Windows Phone 8, will arrive in the Chinese market at the end of the year. China Mobile uses a network standard called TD-SCDMA, which is incompatible with the 3G mobile networks used by most other operators.
By launching the phone with China Mobile, Nokia can potentially tap the carrier's more than 700 million customers. In March, Nokia launched its first Windows Phone 7.5 handsets in the country with rival carrier China Telecom, which only has 155 million mobile subscribers.
Nokia was once the top smartphone vendor in China, but the company's presence in that market has diminished with the growing popularity of Android handsets and Apple's iPhone. Nokia has tried to revive its smartphone sales by building phones using Microsoft's Windows Phone OS. But the operating system had less than 2% of China's smartphone market for the first nine month's of this year, said Teck Zhung Wong, an analyst with research firm IDC.
"Partnering with China Mobile is definitely a plus for Nokia and the vendor went straight for the jugular this time round by offering its flagship Windows Phone 8 model," he said. "I think this will turn up the buzz around Windows Phone 8 handsets, but it remains to be seen if it will translate into actual sales."
The Lumia 920T will be priced at 4599 yuan (US$739) when bought without a contract, and analysts also noted the handset will arrive just as Apple's iPhone 5 officially comes to China on Dec. 14, ensuring it will face heated competition.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- HP HAVEn: See the big picture in Big Data HP HAVEn is the industry's first comprehensive, scalable, open, and secure platform for Big Data. Enterprises are drowning in a sea of data...
- What Datapipe customers need to know about the new PCI DSS 3.0 compliance standard This handy quick reference outlines what PCI DSS 3.0 is, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the new...
- The 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements addressed by Peer 1 Hosting This handy quick reference outlines the 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the...
- Defense Throughout the Vulnerability Life Cycle This whitepaper provides insight into how to leverage threat and log management technologies to protect your IT assets throughout their vulnerability life cycle.
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well...
- The New Way to Work Knowledge Vault This Knowledge Vault focuses on how, in today's increasingly virtual world, it's more important than ever to engage deeply with employees, suppliers, partners,... All Smartphones White Papers | Webcasts