AT&T launches personalized video billing service
Pilot program underway with several thousand users; AT&T plans to launch service nationwide in early 2013
Computerworld - AT&T Tuesday unveiled a personalized video service to help explain each new customer's wireless bill in some detail.
The video service, to be rolled out nationwide in early 2013, uses computer animation and voice narration to explain a customer's bill.
A 2-minute, 28-second video example posted on an AT&T blog site Tuesday explains the monthly bill for a customer named "Bryan" and explains the totals in each of the individual lines.
The personalized videos will be available to customers via email or by accessing a myAT&T online account, said AT&T's John Donovan, vice president of technology and network operations.
The service "makes it easier than ever to understand your monthly charges," Donovan said in the blog post.
He noted that video billing has already been used for U-verse Voice, TV and Internet customers and has been found to be helpful by 85% of those customers.
The U-verse video service has resulted in a "significant reduction in bill-related calls, since the video proactively addresses a customer's typical questions," Donovan said.
The wireless video billing has already been sent to several thousand customers in the Mountain Time Zone, Donovan said.
The concept for the video service came from AT&T Foundry, an innovation center in Ra'anana, Israel, after executives there learned of the concept from video services provider SundaySky during a "fast pitch" presentation, Donovan said.
An AT&T spokeswoman said that one of the most common requests from new customers is to know what they are being billed for.
The service leverages the exploding interest in watching online videos, she added. New customers get the video bills for two months, as do existing customers who change or upgrade a service.
Matt Hamblen covers mobile and wireless, smartphones and other handhelds, and wireless networking for Computerworld. Follow Matt on Twitter at @matthamblen, or subscribe to Matt's RSS feed . His e-mail address is email@example.com.
- Studies show Sprint and T-Mobile need to expand U.S. coverage
- Gear Fit: Samsung strikes again with its 'build one of any device' plan
- Nokia Lumia Icon on sale Feb. 20 exclusively at Verizon
- Samsung hints at new UI for upcoming Galaxy S5
- How 'Lenovorola' changes the mobile world
- Google and Samsung grow cozier with patent deal, Motorola sale
- Should Sprint buy T-Mobile?
- iPhone, Samsung smartphone use by U.S. consumers jumps
- A mobile app reality check
- Verizon LTE getting AWS upgrades, even as execs admit to some performance 'hot spots'
Read more about Mobile/Wireless in Computerworld's Mobile/Wireless Topic Center.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The Critical Role of Support in Your Enterprise Mobility Management Strategy Most business leaders underestimate the importance of tech support when they choose an EMM solution. Here's what to put on your checklist.
- Separating Work and Personal at the Platform Level: How BlackBerry Balance Works BlackBerry® Balance™ separates work from personal on the same mobile device, right at a platform level. Find out how it can work for...
- Protection for Every Enterprise: How BlackBerry Security Works Get an IT-level review of BlackBerry® Security, addressing data leakage protection, certified encryption, containerization and much more.
- Future Focus: What's Coming in Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) Find out why Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) solutions that are truly future-ready must be designed to enable Machine-to-Machine (M2M) capabilities and much more.
- Live Webcast On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Live Webcast Unmasking the Differences between Consumer and Enterprise File Sync & Share The consumerization of IT combined with the rapid pace of the modern mobile workplace is forcing enterprise IT teams to evaluate file sync...
- Live Webcast Workforce Mobilization for Improved Productivity A mobility research director from Aberdeen discusses reasons for extending legacy applications to mobile devices, and an integration strategist from Attachmate shows how...
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the...
- Containerization Options: How to Choose the Best DLP Solution for Your Organization This webcast outlines a framework for making the right choice when it comes to containerization approaches, along with the pros and cons of... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts