CSO - Many chess players--and I'm sure you are going to find this hard to believe--are boring. Even to their fellow chess players.
Because they try to play zero-risk chess.
These poor saps try to win by playing timidly, avoiding error at all costs, purely trying to create weakness-free positions. They don't gamble, but they also don't try new ideas, and they never play a game that anyone else would find interesting or creative or worth emulating. They aren't actually playing to win; they are playing not to lose.
[Get CSO's new monthly Risk Management newsletter]
It's a soul-crushing experience to sit down for a three- to four-hour game at my Tuesday night club, only to realize that my opponent's sole objective is to suck the life out of the position. This, I say, is no way to spend a Tuesday night. Zero-risk chess is boring.
In my professional life, as in chess, I have discovered that I like risk. I like creativity and I like winning. I am willing to gamble on my own judgment. And when I don't get the result I expect, I rethink my analysis with this new data. If I come to the same conclusion as before, I often double down.
Of course, the results of chess games don't matter. You lose spectacularly, you get to reset the pieces and try again from scratch next week. You look kind of stupid, but so what.
The results of taking this approach in business are much more tangible. Particularly with security risks, it doesn't make sense to be cavalier. But that doesn't mean your business should take no risks. Zero-risk business isn't just boring, it also has very little upside.
That is why security leaders have to become great evaluators of risk. Join me on my new blog and share your experiences as I delve into the exciting--not boring!--topic of risk management.
- Troubleshooting Common Issues in VoIP Learn more about Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP), including common VoIP metrics used, best practices in VoIP management and tips and tricks for...
- 2013 Network Management Software (NMS) Buyers Guide This white paper contains an independent comparison study of six different network management solutions and provides guidance on how you can choose the...
- Rightsizing Your Network Performance Management Solution: 4 Case Studies This white paper discusses challenges encountered as organizations search for the most cost-effective network performance management solution.
- Global Growing Pains: Tapping into B2B Integration Services to Overcome Global Expansion Challenges A recent survey by IDG Research explored both the challenges and pain points companies face when growing globally, as well as the capabilities...
- E-Signature RFP Checklist Webcast If your organization is looking to adopt e-signatures, you may be overwhelmed by the number of providers that offer seemingly similar solutions. How...
- Cloud and Collaboration: Driving Your Business Value Mission Critical Cloud from Peer 1 Hosting is enterprise-grade. All Security White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!