AT&T adds six more LTE cities
Total is now up to 109; carrier says it's ahead of schedule
Computerworld - AT&T said Monday it has upped its LTE wireless network reach to 109 markets, by adding six cities in Puerto Rico as well as Albuquerque, N.M., Reading, Pa. and Salt Lake City.
The three cities in Puerto Rico are Guayama, San German-Cabo Rojo and Yauco, the carrier said in separate statements.
Earlier this year, AT&T said it would have more than 100 markets on LTE by the end of 2012. It passed that threshold last month.
Verizon Wireless got a head start on other carriers and now has LTE in more than 440 cities, while Sprint last week said it had reached 43 markets.
Verizon is also the largest LTE carrier in the world.
The fact that the U.S. carriers are frequently touting their network reach to new cities is a sign of how competitive the rush to LTE has become. AT&T sells nine LTE-ready Android smartphones in addition to the popular iPhone 5 and the Windows Phone 8-based Nokia Lumia 920.
AT&T also promotes its LTE as offering faster average download speeds than competitors, although analysts note that usage will vary greatly by the number of users on a network, topography in the area and other factors. Some Computerworld readers have noted AT&T LTE download speeds of up to 50 Mbps, but the average in crowded areas is from 8 Mbps to 12 Mbps, generally in line with other carriers.
Matt Hamblen covers mobile and wireless, smartphones and other handhelds, and wireless networking for Computerworld. Follow Matt on Twitter at @matthamblen or subscribe to Matt's RSS feed. His email address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read more about Wireless Networking in Computerworld's Wireless Networking Topic Center.
- Why Dell PowerEdge VRTX for ROBO and Small Offices Remote and branch offices, as well as small business, often have the dilemma of balancing office productivity with the complexity of providing IT...
- Achieve Deeper Network Security and Application Control Next-generation firewalls (NGFWs) have emerged to revolutionize network security as we once knew it. Yet to safeguard an organization from today's ever-evolving threats,...
- It's Who You Know: CDW + CISCO Unified Communications and Collaboration When it comes to unified communications and collaboration, it's not just what you know. It's who you know. That's why we partner with...
- How to Modernize Your IT Infrastructure & Streamline Operations Increasing line of business demands? Shrinking IT budget? See how Red Hat can help you meet growing.
- Live Webcast 5 Steps to Assuring Quality of Experience In order to align monitoring and management practices with the true demands of the business, IT professionals must expand beyond traditional comfort zones...
- Live Webcast Master the Changing SAP Landscape with Performance Management SAP landscapes are not getting simpler. Gradually, business processes that used to be contained on a single SAP system now involve a range...
- Navigating the New Wireless Landscape Thriving in the new wireless landscape View Now>>
- Deep Dive into Advanced Networking and Security with Hybrid Cloud Security and networking are among the top concerns when moving workloads to the cloud. VMware vCloud® Hybrid Service™ enables you to extend your... All Networking White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!