Network World - Free or open source databases run hundreds of millions of public-facing and private applications worldwide, but how effective is this technology and how do these products compare? For answers, we reviewed six popular free or open source database products: Microsoft SQL Server Express, PostgreSQL, Oracle's MySQL, MariaDB, Apache Derby and Firebird SQL.
When selecting candidates for our review we chose fully featured relational database management system (RDBMS) products with features such as procedures, functions, triggers and cursors. While we did not set out to perform scientific benchmarking, we did test large tables. For the test data, we used a truncated log file from one of our Web servers containing a million-plus records. The same test data was used across all six products. We ran standard tests such as bulk inserts/imports and performed data manipulation tasks via SELECT, UPDATE AND DELETE statements.
For our test environment we used 64-bit Dell rack servers running Windows Server 2008 R2. It should be noted that with the exception of MS SQL Server Express, all database products we tested are cross-platform capable.
To continue reading, register here to become an Insider
It's FREE to join
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Aberdeen Group: Marketing Analytics for Manufacturing: Forging Customer Insights There are no recalls for poor marketing. Manufacturers need to get their customer intelligence and messaging right the first time. Learn how.
- SIEM: Keeping Pace with Big Security Data Learn how SIEM can have the right database back-end and offer security intelligence that leverages contextual data to achieve a strong security posture...
- Pay-as-you-Grow Data Protection: IBM Tivoli's Full-featured Data Protection Suite for Small to Medium Businesses IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Suite for Unified Recovery gives small and medium businesses the opportunity to start out with only the individual solutions...
- Streamline Data Protection with IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Operations Center IBM Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM) has been an industry-standard data protection solution for two decades. But, where most competitors focus exclusively on Backup...
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well...
- The New Way to Work Knowledge Vault This Knowledge Vault focuses on how, in today's increasingly virtual world, it's more important than ever to engage deeply with employees, suppliers, partners,... All Databases White Papers | Webcasts