Motorola denied injunction in Microsoft patent suit
A license agreement will also result between Microsoft and Motorola for Motorola's 802.11 standard-essential patents, Judge Robart wrote. "Thus, the effect of this court's decision would also bar an injunction for the assertion of any Motorola-owned 802.11 standard essential patents against Microsoft," he added.
The use of standards-essential patents covered under FRAND terms in patent disputes has come under scrutiny recently. In June, the U.S. Federal Trade Commission said in a statement in the public interest before the U.S. International Trade Commission that ITC's ban orders in matters involving implementation of standards-essential patents, that were committed to be licensed on FRAND (fair, reasonable and non-discriminatory) terms, has the potential to cause substantial harm to U.S. competition, consumers and innovation.
FTC was commenting on ITC investigations into complaints by Motorola against Microsoft and Apple. The ITC last month decided to review an earlier decision that Apple did not infringe four patents of Samsung Electronics in its mobile devices including the iPhone and iPad, and said it plans to discuss in the review issues relating to standards-essential patents, including whether an undertaking to license a patent on FRAND terms precludes a ban on a product if it infringes the patent.
- Improving IT Efficiencies: Four Advantages of Multi-Tenant Data Centers Increasing demands on IT are forcing organizations to rethink their data center options. For many organizations, that means turning to the flexibility afforded...
- Accelerating Cloud Deployment and Operations with Managed Services Companies that do not have sufficient in-house expertise to either deploy or maintain an IaaS cloud should turn to Managed Service Providers .
- Rethinking IT Operations in the Cloud This paper breaks down the challenges that often prevent the cloud from delivering the fast, flexible and affordable infrastructure companies seek - and...
- Gartner Magic Quadrant for Cloud-Enabled Managed Hosting, North America Cloud-enabled managed hosting brings cloudlike consumption and provisioning attributes to the traditional managed hosting market
- The Key to Happiness: Throw out Your Data Warehouse In this webinar, Kerry Reitnauer, Director, Solution Architect at FairPoint Communications will discuss the challenges the data warehouse brought, how they migrated to...
- Building Tomorrow's Data Center with Converged Technologies A number of forces are converging: the cloud, converged infrastructure, big data and fabric architectures to name a few. All Data Center White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!