Motorola denied injunction in Microsoft patent suit
A license agreement will also result between Microsoft and Motorola for Motorola's 802.11 standard-essential patents, Judge Robart wrote. "Thus, the effect of this court's decision would also bar an injunction for the assertion of any Motorola-owned 802.11 standard essential patents against Microsoft," he added.
The use of standards-essential patents covered under FRAND terms in patent disputes has come under scrutiny recently. In June, the U.S. Federal Trade Commission said in a statement in the public interest before the U.S. International Trade Commission that ITC's ban orders in matters involving implementation of standards-essential patents, that were committed to be licensed on FRAND (fair, reasonable and non-discriminatory) terms, has the potential to cause substantial harm to U.S. competition, consumers and innovation.
FTC was commenting on ITC investigations into complaints by Motorola against Microsoft and Apple. The ITC last month decided to review an earlier decision that Apple did not infringe four patents of Samsung Electronics in its mobile devices including the iPhone and iPad, and said it plans to discuss in the review issues relating to standards-essential patents, including whether an undertaking to license a patent on FRAND terms precludes a ban on a product if it infringes the patent.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- HP HAVEn: See the big picture in Big Data HP HAVEn is the industry's first comprehensive, scalable, open, and secure platform for Big Data. Enterprises are drowning in a sea of data...
- Piecing Together the Business Intelligence Puzzle Business intelligence (BI) technology collects and analyzes company data, delivering relevant information to corporate decision-makers in an effort to produce favorable outcomes.
- Harness IT -- An Introduction to Business Intelligence Solutions Learn the key selection criteria required to provide your organization with the capability to address structured data, unstructured data and mobile demands so...
- Business Intelligence Shows its Smarts Today's Business Intelligence (BI) tools provide a new way to think about data with self-service capabilities and user-friendly analytics that can be used...
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources...
- Testimonial: Cystic Fibrosis Trust Peter Hawkins, the Head of IT for Cystic Fibrosis Trust, discusses the role CommVault's Simpana software platform plays in improving the company's information... All Data Center White Papers | Webcasts