HP upgrades converged storage portfolio
Users encouraged to migrate from Hewlett-Packard EVA arrays to 3Par storage systems
Computerworld - Hewlett-Packard's Storage division Monday released upgrades to three product lines. A product marketing director called the upgrades the Storage division's biggest news since acquiring 3Par in 2010.
HP said it's upgrading the HP 3PAR StoreServ Storage, StoreAll Storage and StoreOnce Backup product offerings.
The upgrades are said to bring some enterprise-class features to midrange offerings, as well as converge block, file and object-based storage under one user interface.
In 2011, HP announced the Converged Systems portfolio as a type of all-in-one, IT-as-a-Service data center architecture.
Similar to EMC and Cisco's vBlock offering, the pre-configured converged storage offering combines scale-out software with HP EVA storage arrays and BladeSystem or HP ProLiant server hardware.
HP has three Converged Storage architecture models, the VS1, VS2 and VS3.
The VS3 can now be ordered with HP's new 3Par StoreServ 7200 array, which has a dual-core controller, or the 7400, which has quad-core controller.
HP's 3PAR StoreServ 7000 array line is a midrange platform offering Tier 1 storage availability and quality-of-service features, according to Sean Kinney, director of product marketing for HP Storage.
With the StoreServ arrays, HP adds file-based data services to existing block-based data services. The system also includes a combination of hard disks and solid-state disks (SSD), or an all-SSD configuration capable of performing more than 320,000 input/output operations per second (IOPS), according to Kinney.
Kinney said the 3Par StorServe 7000 series comes with native thin provisioning capability, as well as primary data deduplication and encryption for data in flight and at rest.
"We guarantee we can double the virtual machine density on each of your servers," he said.
The HP 3Par StoreServ 7200 is available immediately starting at $20,000. HP's 3Par StoreServ 7400 starts at $32,000.
"You're getting all the benefits of 3Par, but in a mid-tier offering," Kinney said.
HP has added some of the EVA's ease of use features, such as its familiar user interface, to the 3Par StoreServ arrays, Kinney noted.
For example, HP's data storage management software, Command View, is now a simple tab in the 3Par user interface. In fact, Kinney said users would have an easier time migrating data from their existing EVA arrays to a StorServe 7000 array, than to another EVA array.
Kinney said there are no immediate plans to discontinue the EVA array line, but added, "We're strongly encouraging our EVA customers to move to 3Par. That way, you get all the ease of use with the advanced data services of 3Par."
Additionally, HP said it will release its Priority Optimization software in 2013. HP Priority Optimization software allows users to set up service level agreements for a tenant (a business unit, for example) or an application, meaning certain performance and capacity metrics can be pre-set on its converged architecture.
- Disk storage sales gets year-end boost
- Bug bounty operator presses vendors to pick up patching pace
- Server market revenue down 4.4% in Q4
- Steven J. Vaughan-Nichols: Windows 7 lives!
- HP unveils first 64-bit Windows 8.1 tablets with Intel Atom
- HP brings 'couch potato' model to Pavilion line
- Microsoft tries to jumpstart cheap Windows devices with license price cut
- HP reverses decline in PC sales, claims broad progress in quarter
- HP eyes acquisitions and divestitures, CEO Whitman says
- Intel's new Xeon server chip pushes Itanium closer to end
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Using VM Archiving to Solve VM Sprawl This CommVault whitepaper discusses how archiving virtual machines can mitigate VM sprawl with a comprehensive approach to VM lifecycle management.
- Keep Your Network Available, Efficient and Secure Make the most of your network by working with experts who "get it." CDW and F5 have partnered to keep networks highly optimized....
- VCE Converged Infrastructure Enables Continuous Operation for Swiss Power Plant Read how Vblock™ Systems, running in active-active mode, enabled KKL to transform its twin data centers in just two months, enable continuous operations,...
- The Future of IT: A Customer First Approach Explore how customer-first policies can make use of social, mobile and cloud technologies to give workers the freedom and flexibility they desire to...
- Make or Break: New Auto Products Must Go To Market On Time This Webcast quantifies the value of time to market for the auto industry and highlights how Primavera Enterprise Portfolio Management can help organizations.
- IBM Flash Webcast: Optimizing your Datacenter for Efficient Storage & ROI Register for this webcast to learn the benefits of flash storage from IBM Customer, Leonardo Irastorza of Royal Caribbean Cruise Ltd and Storage... All Data Storage White Papers | Webcasts