How CIOs Are Making Security an Enterprise Necessity
CIO - So, a guy walks up to another guy who is clapping. The first guy asks, "Why are you clapping?" The second one answers, "To keep the alligators away." Confused, the first guy says, "But there are no alligators around here." And the second says, "See? It's working!"
Such is the situation that many CIOs find themselves in when selling IT security to the executive committee. "When the CIO says, 'I'd like to spend this amount on security,' it's rarely, 'Are you sure you're spending enough?'" says Steve Rubinow, CIO of FXall, an electronic foreign exchange platform. "Instead it's, 'We haven't had any problems; maybe you're spending too much!'"
The ROI Paradox. Perhaps the clearest aspect of the IT security paradox is this: "There is no easy ROI on security." And, says Rubinow, you cannot guarantee that your systems are 100 percent secure. Plus, security threats can be subtle, with countries targeting intellectual property, not customer data.
To continue reading, register here to become an Insider
It's FREE to join
- Mobile First: Securing Information Sprawl Learn how the partnership between Box and MobileIron can help you execute a "mobile first" strategy that manages and secures both mobile apps...
- Cybersecurity Imperatives: Reinvent your Network Security The Rise of CyberSecurity
- Surescripts Case Study- Securing Keys and Certificates Surescripts implemented Venafi's Trust Protection Platform™ to secure digital keys and certificates, ensure the privacy and confidentiality of electronic clinical information for its...
- Ponemon 2014 SSH Security Vulnerability Report According to research by the Ponemon Institute, 3 out of 4 enterprises have no security controls in place for SSH which leaves organizations...
- Responding to New SSL Cybersecurity Threat The featured Gartner research examines current strategies to address new SSL cybersecurity threats and vulnerabilities.
- Deep Dive into Advanced Networking and Security with Hybrid Cloud Security and networking are among the top concerns when moving workloads to the cloud. VMware vCloud® Hybrid Service™ enables you to extend your... All Security White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!