System vulnerability at Conn. state university may have exposed student data
Western Connecticut State University does not believe the records of 233,880 people were inappropriately accessed
IDG News Service - Western Connecticut State University said Thursday that a vulnerability in its computer system present for more than three years may have exposed the data of 233,880 students and other people affiliated with the institution.
The vulnerability has now been fixed, and it is not believed that the system was inappropriately accessed, the university said. The data exposed included names, addresses, Social Security numbers and financial account information supplied by prospective students when applying to the university as well as lists of SAT scores bought by the school. The university said buying test scores is a common practice in higher education.
"Since discovery of the exposure, the university has dramatically increased its information protection capacity with new layers of protection," the school said. "The university will continue to assess and improve all aspects of its information security."
The information exposed dated back to 1999. The vulnerability was present in the system between April 2009 through September this year. The university did not describe the vulnerability in its news release.
WCSU is offering two years of credit monitoring to those affected from the company AllClear ID. A It has also set up a web-based form where people can enter their last name and the last four digits of their Social Security number to see if their data was exposed.
The university notified the office of the Attorney General Connecticut of the problem.
Send news tips and comments to firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow me on Twitter: @jeremy_kirk
- How WAN Optimization Helps Enterprises Reduce Costs If you wanted to break down innovation into a tidy equation, it might go something like this: Technology + Connectivity = Productivity. Productivity...
- Four Little-Known Ways WAN Optimization Can Benefit Your Organization WAN optimization has evolved into a complete system that optimizes traffic across a broad range of most popular applications while providing deep visibility...
- SharePlan Security SharePlan is a continuous, secure, enterprise-ready file sync and share platform that facilitates smart, real-time collaboration across all devices.
- Three Ways Your DNS Can Impact DDoS Attacks Domain Name System (DNS) plays a big role in consumers' day-to-day Internet usage and is a critical factor when it comes to distributed...
- Online Video and Web Traffic: Sochi 2014 Winter Olympic Games Over 25 leading global broadcasters worked with Akamai to deliver the action, excitement and inspiration of Sochi because they understand online viewers expect...
- Video surveillance for IT: maximum image quality, minimum bandwidth Join us on Thursday, May 8th at 1 p.m. EST when Willem Ryan, Senior Product Marketing Manager at Avigilon, will discuss how IT... All Networking White Papers | Webcasts