Computerworld - The U.S. Senate will not move forward on a cybersecurity bill.
The Senate voted 51-47 to end debate and move to a final vote on the Cybersecurity Act, but 60 votes were needed to advance the bill. The Senate had also failed to move forward on the bill in an August vote.
BSA, an industry trade group, called on lawmakers to give cybersecurity legislation a high priority in 2013. "There is no getting around the fact that we need to bolster America's cybersecurity capabilities," BSA president and CEO Robert Holleyman said in a statement. "The stalemate doesn't make the issue go away."
Critics of the bill have said it would give too much power to the Department of Homeland Security, which would be authorized to set cybersecurity standards, with the help of private companies.
Other senators say the bill raises privacy concerns because it would allow businesses and government agencies to spy on customers without a warrant.
The bill also offers incentives to companies that voluntarily adopt cybersecurity programs. Carrots include protection from lawsuits related to cyber incidents.
This version of this story was originally published in Computerworld's print edition. It was adapted from an article that appeared earlier on Computerworld.com.
Read more about Security in Computerworld's Security Topic Center.
- Securing Mobile App Data - Comparing Containers and App Wrappers Analysts agree that Mobile Device Management (MDM) is not enough when it comes to securing app data. Although it remains a critical component...
- PCI 3.0 Compliance In this white paper, learn how PCI-DSS 3.0 effects how you deploy and maintain PCI compliant networks using CradlePoint devices.
- Mitigating Security Risks at the Networks Edge This white paper provides strategies and best practices for distributed enterprises to protect their networks against vulnerabilities, threats, and malicious attacks.
- 5 Strategies for Modern Data Protection Read the five strategies for modern data protection that will not only help solve your current data management challenges but also ensure that...
- Business-driven data protection Setting up data protection infrastructures with your organizations' core mission or business in mind is key. In this webinar, the ARCserve team will...
- On-Demand Webinar: Mind the Gap! Watch the webinar featuring Bob Janssen, CTO and Co-Founder of RES Software, to start building a solid foundation for business and IT to... All Security White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!