Don't be a Scrooge with at-work holiday shoppers
Computerworld - Now that Black Friday is behind us and the holiday gift-buying season is under way, IT managers should be prepared for users doing a fair amount of that shopping at work.
The widespread adoption of bring-your-own-device policies means that at-work shopping is all but a done deal. Because many people are using their own smartphones and tablets for work, they are feeling freer to check off items on their holiday shopping lists during the workday. Some may figure they can do what they want on their own devices.
"If it's my laptop and I'm at work and I'm having a coffee break, I'm going to get my shopping done," said Jim Melvin, president and CEO of AppNeta, a provider of services for monitoring system performance. "We're seeing more of this blending of work and home life."
The issue, though, is not that workers are using their own devices, but that they're using the company network to access their favorite retail sites -- and often, they're shopping on company time, not during their coffee breaks.
But Ezra Gottheil, an analyst at Technology Business Research, suggests it's not something IT managers should spend a lot of time on. "I don't think it is worth worrying about," he said. "The potential for abuse is much smaller than other things, like social networking or even pornography."
The flip side of the BYOD movement is that many people now do work on their personal time, said Gottheil, so it's not really fair to refuse to let people spend a bit of work time on personal errands. "It's seasonal," he said. "Why be a Scrooge?"
This version of this story was originally published in Computerworld's print edition. It was adapted from an article that appeared earlier on Computerworld.com.
Read more about Mobile/Wireless in Computerworld's Mobile/Wireless Topic Center.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The Critical Role of Support in Your Enterprise Mobility Management Strategy Most business leaders underestimate the importance of tech support when they choose an EMM solution. Here's what to put on your checklist.
- Separating Work and Personal at the Platform Level: How BlackBerry Balance Works BlackBerry® Balance™ separates work from personal on the same mobile device, right at a platform level. Find out how it can work for...
- Protection for Every Enterprise: How BlackBerry Security Works Get an IT-level review of BlackBerry® Security, addressing data leakage protection, certified encryption, containerization and much more.
- Future Focus: What's Coming in Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) Find out why Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) solutions that are truly future-ready must be designed to enable Machine-to-Machine (M2M) capabilities and much more.
- Live Webcast On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Live Webcast Unmasking the Differences between Consumer and Enterprise File Sync & Share The consumerization of IT combined with the rapid pace of the modern mobile workplace is forcing enterprise IT teams to evaluate file sync...
- Live Webcast Workforce Mobilization for Improved Productivity A mobility research director from Aberdeen discusses reasons for extending legacy applications to mobile devices, and an integration strategist from Attachmate shows how...
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the...
- Containerization Options: How to Choose the Best DLP Solution for Your Organization This webcast outlines a framework for making the right choice when it comes to containerization approaches, along with the pros and cons of... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts