Don't be a Scrooge with at-work holiday shoppers
Computerworld - Now that Black Friday is behind us and the holiday gift-buying season is under way, IT managers should be prepared for users doing a fair amount of that shopping at work.
The widespread adoption of bring-your-own-device policies means that at-work shopping is all but a done deal. Because many people are using their own smartphones and tablets for work, they are feeling freer to check off items on their holiday shopping lists during the workday. Some may figure they can do what they want on their own devices.
"If it's my laptop and I'm at work and I'm having a coffee break, I'm going to get my shopping done," said Jim Melvin, president and CEO of AppNeta, a provider of services for monitoring system performance. "We're seeing more of this blending of work and home life."
The issue, though, is not that workers are using their own devices, but that they're using the company network to access their favorite retail sites -- and often, they're shopping on company time, not during their coffee breaks.
But Ezra Gottheil, an analyst at Technology Business Research, suggests it's not something IT managers should spend a lot of time on. "I don't think it is worth worrying about," he said. "The potential for abuse is much smaller than other things, like social networking or even pornography."
The flip side of the BYOD movement is that many people now do work on their personal time, said Gottheil, so it's not really fair to refuse to let people spend a bit of work time on personal errands. "It's seasonal," he said. "Why be a Scrooge?"
This version of this story was originally published in Computerworld's print edition. It was adapted from an article that appeared earlier on Computerworld.com.
Read more about Mobile/Wireless in Computerworld's Mobile/Wireless Topic Center.
- Securing the enterprise workspace: protect your organization while supporting mobility and BYOD Read this white paper to learn ways to bolster security across enterprise networks while giving employees simple, authorized remote access to corporate applications...
- Transforming enterprise applications for mobile environments Read this white paper for tips on how to prepare critical applications to be securely accessed from an array of company-owned and personal...
- Future-proof your mobility strategy with Dell Enterprise Mobility Management Read this paper to discover best practices to future-proof your mobile strategy in the evolving world of devices, operating systems, work habits and...
- Enabling devices and device management for your mobility/BYOD program Read this white paper to learn how to support employees with the best devices to increase flexibility, productivity and job satisfaction.
- Don't Believe the Hype: Not All Containers are Created Equal Hear executives discuss the 3 C's of Secure Mobility-content, credentials, and configurations-and learn the inherent security risks to your organization of using MDM...
- Navigating the New Wireless Landscape Thriving in the new wireless landscape View Now>> All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts