PC vendors curb expectations for Windows 8 sales hike
Computerworld - Computer sellers have scaled back their expectations of the sales pop they'll get from Windows 8 this year, an analyst said recently.
Brian White of Topeka Capital Markets said that his checks of Asian computer manufacturers -- the relatively unknown companies that build desktops and notebooks for the likes of Hewlett-Packard and Dell -- found that orders from PC vendors climbed just 2% from September to October, less than half the average 5% monthly increase of the past seven years.
That figure is weaker than his firm's initial estimate "and speaks to the continued challenges in the PC market," White said.
PC sellers had hoped that the release of Windows 8 would kick-start sales, but "the Windows 8 ramp is much lower than expected a few months ago," White said. He explained that the difference is due partly to macro-economic weaknesses and partly to the fact that tablets are eating into PC sales.
Paul Thurrott, a Windows blogger and book author, recently reported that unnamed sources within Microsoft had said that Windows 8 sales have been below company projections. However, other Microsoft watchers have cautioned that it's too early to conclude that sales of Windows 8, and its associated hardware, are sluggish.
This version of this story was originally published in Computerworld's print edition. It was adapted from an article that appeared earlier on Computerworld.com.
Read more about Operating Systems in Computerworld's Operating Systems Topic Center.
- An Insightful Approach to Optimizing Mainframe MLC Spend This paper discusses how you can penetrate the complexity of IBM mainframe MLC products and the MLC price model to gain insight into...
- Meeting the Exploding Demand for New IT Services In this eBook, explore the top trends driving the New IT for IT Service Management, and how leading organizations are evolving to focus...
- Hybrid IT-A Low-Risk Path from On-Premise to ITaaS This white paper provides a strategy to move part or all of your ITSM suite to the cloud as a stepping stone to...
- Paving the Windows XP Migration Path to Success Support for Windows XP has ended, leaving organizations with three choices: Windows 8, Windows 7 or a combination. With the right planning and...
- Increase Your Data Center IQ Discover how to improve network efficiency, lower IT costs and more proactively manage your physical, virtual and cloud environments.
- Optimize Data Center Resources and Plan for the Future Eliminate over-provisioning and capacity shortfalls with pro-active capacity optimization. Join us in the evolution from capacity monitoring to capacity optimization in your data... All Hardware White Papers | Webcasts