Syria suffers nationwide Internet blackout; charts show dramatic traffic collapse
Network World - Internet access in Syria has been shut off nationwide, and network watchers Akamai and Renesys have issued charts illustrating the dramatic traffic collapse.
RELATED: Anatomy of an Internet blackout
Syria has experienced partial blackouts this year, but this nationwide blackout is unprecedented. It coincides with increased fighting in Damascus, as reported by Associated Press. Reports have also surfaced of land lines and cellphone networks being down.
Syria State TV is reporting that the outage is due to technical problems, though pro-regime accounts on social media sites have blamed rebels for the outage. Some airlines are canceling flights into Syria's capital city of Damascus.
Such Internet blackouts have been experienced over the past couple of years in the Middle East, including in Egypt and Libya.
Content delivery network provider Akamai has issued a chart that shows the dramatic drop-off in Internet traffic today in Syria just before 10:30 a.m. in that country.
Security company Renesys supports Akamai's observations with charts of its own.
Reneys writes in part on its blog: "Looking closely at the continuing Internet blackout in Syria, we can see that traceroutes into Syria are failing, exactly as one would expect for a major outage. The primary autonomous system for Syria is the Syrian Telecommunications Establishment; all of their customer networks are currently unreachable."
Read more about lan and wan in Network World's LAN & WAN section.
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
NSA: Riding on Facebook's horse tail.
The U.S. National Security Agency (NSA) is once again close to denying reports that it is indiscriminately monitoring every computer on planet Earth. This time, the freshest, newest, most recent report of NSA mass-surreptitiousness (courtesy Edward Snowden -- ta) alleges the sneaky agency infects computers with malware via a fake Facebook (NASDAQ:FB) login page.
In IT Blogwatch, bloggers play keep-away with the man-in-the-middle.
- IT Certification Study Tips
- Register for this Computerworld Insider Study Tip guide and gain access to hundreds of premium content articles, cheat sheets, product reviews and more.
- Changing the Way Government Works: Four Technology Trends that Drive Down Costs and Increase Productivity
- This paper discusses four technology-based approaches to improving processes and increasing
productivity while driving down department and agency costs.
- Gartner 2013 Magic Quadrant for Enterprise Backup/Recovery Software
- See why CommVault was positioned as the #1 leader in Gartner's 2013 Magic Quadrant for Enterprise Backup/Recovery software for the 3rd year in...
- Forrester Report: CommVault is a Leader in Enterprise Backup and Recovery
- In this report, Forrester takes a deep dive into the evaluation criteria, how CommVault is positioned and the features and functionality that make...
- Forrester Wave for Enterprise Backup and Recovery
- Read this report to see how CommVault continues to outpace its competitors and why Forrester positioned CommVault Simpana as the top backup and...
- Architecting the Network of the Future
- Networks need to change, as does the way IT thinks about and manages them. In addition to reliability, IT must now add higher... All Government IT White Papers
- Four Myths of High-Productivity App Dev Debunked Debunk the main myths surrounding high-productivity application development and how both platforms have overcome them.
On-Demand Webcast: 7 Reasons to Choose VoIP
Thinking about a new phone system for your business?
Be sure to watch this informative webcast. Steve Strauss, small business columnist for USA...
- Top 8 Communications Tools for Small Businesses Powerful technology is available to help your small business improve its communications with customers, employees and suppliers. View this free On-Demand Webcast produced...
- Webinar: Building a Big Data solution that's production-ready Big data solutions are no longer just a nice-to-have.
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well...
- All Government IT Webcasts