Syria suffers nationwide Internet blackout; charts show dramatic traffic collapse
Network World - Internet access in Syria has been shut off nationwide, and network watchers Akamai and Renesys have issued charts illustrating the dramatic traffic collapse.
RELATED: Anatomy of an Internet blackout
Syria has experienced partial blackouts this year, but this nationwide blackout is unprecedented. It coincides with increased fighting in Damascus, as reported by Associated Press. Reports have also surfaced of land lines and cellphone networks being down.
Syria State TV is reporting that the outage is due to technical problems, though pro-regime accounts on social media sites have blamed rebels for the outage. Some airlines are canceling flights into Syria's capital city of Damascus.
Such Internet blackouts have been experienced over the past couple of years in the Middle East, including in Egypt and Libya.
Content delivery network provider Akamai has issued a chart that shows the dramatic drop-off in Internet traffic today in Syria just before 10:30 a.m. in that country.
Security company Renesys supports Akamai's observations with charts of its own.
Reneys writes in part on its blog: "Looking closely at the continuing Internet blackout in Syria, we can see that traceroutes into Syria are failing, exactly as one would expect for a major outage. The primary autonomous system for Syria is the Syrian Telecommunications Establishment; all of their customer networks are currently unreachable."
Read more about lan and wan in Network World's LAN & WAN section.
- 10 Hot Big Data Startups to Watch
- 11 Unique Uses for Google Glass, Demonstrated by Celebs
- How to Export Your Google Reader Account
- How to Better Engage Millennials (and Why They Aren't Really so Different)
- Telltale signs of ATM skimming
- 20 security and privacy apps for Androids and iPhones
- Big screen con artists: 7 great movies about social engineering
Today, many government agencies – civilian and defense – find themselves in a technology quandary: the volume of data that must be stored is growing rapidly, while shrinking budgets are limiting capital expenditures (i.e. – servers, storage devices, etc.) required to store all of this data.
- IT Certification Study Tips
- Register for this Computerworld Insider Study Tip guide and gain access to hundreds of premium content articles, cheat sheets, product reviews and more.
- Federal IT Innovation Caught in a Catch-22
- Fed resources shoring up old infrastructure, holding back new technologies.
- Top Three Reasons Why Customers Deploy EMC VNX with EMC VPLEX
- What if you could build a cost effective, continuously available storage infrastructure? Learn the top reasons users are deploying EMC VNX with EMC...
- Clearing the Clouds for Midmarket Businesses
- The 10-point checklist included in this expert brief has been developed to help small and midsize businesses select the cloud model and cloud...
- Perforce Case Study
- Learn how EMC cost-effectively transformed their infrastructure and improved storage performance by 60% by unifying storage, deploying virtualization and leveraging Flash to meet...
- Data Center Transformation: Balancing user demands with IT mandates
- There's a flood of user requirements, computing trends, and new technologies driving the need for you to look closely at your IT infrastructure. All Government IT White Papers
- Virtustream (Vayence) video taking a 3000-Seat SAP Environment to the Cloud
- How can public cloud services help your organization reduce costs and increase security for your mission
- Williams & Fudge on Transforming IT with EMC
- Watch Williams & Fudge Data Center Director Phillip Reynolds discuss why this accounts receivable management firm turned to EMC.
- The Success Network: Driving Business Forward
- The communications and connectivity infrastructure of your organization is the focus of this KnowledgeVault Exchange, sponsored by Comcast Business.
- Advanced Voice Solutions for Your Business
- How can hosted business class voice services help mid-sized business be more agile, competitive and ready for growth?
- Bring Mobile Innovation to your Enterprise.
- With the mobility revolution well underway, CIO's and Line of Business owners are faced with the struggle to develop a winning mobile strategy. All Government IT Webcasts