NASA blunts reports of history-making Mars discovery
Space agency says it hasn't yet discovered definitive evidence of organic life on Mars, as reports suggested last week
Computerworld - NASA today blunted reports of a potentially history-making discovery on Mars.
NPR.com had reported last week that John Grotzinger, NASA's principal investigator for the Mars rover Curiosity mission, told it the rover's SAM instrument, which is an onboard chemistry lab. had made some "really interesting," perhaps historic, discoveries.
He told NPR.org that the space agency wouldn't release information until a discover is confirmed, a process that could take several weeks.
In an invitation to a news conference next week about Curiosity's progress, NASA pointedly stated that last week's reports about an earthshaking discovery was wrong.
"Rumors and speculation that there are major new findings from the mission at this early stage are incorrect," NASA said in an email invitation. "Curiosity is exceeding all expectations for a new mission with all of the instruments and measurement systems performing well. This is spectacular for such a complex system, and one that is operated so far away on Mars by people here on planet Earth."
The super rover has not, though, yet discovered any definitive evidence of Martian organics, NASA added.
NASA said that on Monday it will provide information on the rover's first use of its full array of analytical instruments to investigate a drift of sandy soil.
Sharon Gaudin covers the Internet and Web 2.0, emerging technologies, and desktop and laptop chips for Computerworld. Follow Sharon on Twitter at @sgaudin, or subscribe to Sharon's RSS feed . Her e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read more about Government/Industries in Computerworld's Government/Industries Topic Center.
- A Reference Architecture for the Internet of Things The aim of this is to provide Architects and Developers of IoT projects with an effective starting point that covers the major requirements...
- How to Reduce Hardware & Infrastructure Costs Through Data In this paper, we take a look at how organizations are revisiting their network and server architecture in a bid to address the...
- Software Build Acceleration, Analytics and Build Clouds Discover how to dramatically speed up software builds by automatically distributing build jobs over scalable resource clouds and multi-core desktops, with potential savings...
- Printer Installer: Eliminating Print Servers Printer Installer is an on-premise web application that enables you to centrally manage and deploy Windows shared or direct iP printers.
- On-demand webinar - 7 Keys to Service Catalog Implementation Success Watch this webinar to learn 7 crucial keys to make your service catalog a success!
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt. All Hardware White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!