NASA blunts reports of history-making Mars discovery
Space agency says it hasn't yet discovered definitive evidence of organic life on Mars, as reports suggested last week
Computerworld - NASA today blunted reports of a potentially history-making discovery on Mars.
NPR.com had reported last week that John Grotzinger, NASA's principal investigator for the Mars rover Curiosity mission, told it the rover's SAM instrument, which is an onboard chemistry lab. had made some "really interesting," perhaps historic, discoveries.
He told NPR.org that the space agency wouldn't release information until a discover is confirmed, a process that could take several weeks.
In an invitation to a news conference next week about Curiosity's progress, NASA pointedly stated that last week's reports about an earthshaking discovery was wrong.
"Rumors and speculation that there are major new findings from the mission at this early stage are incorrect," NASA said in an email invitation. "Curiosity is exceeding all expectations for a new mission with all of the instruments and measurement systems performing well. This is spectacular for such a complex system, and one that is operated so far away on Mars by people here on planet Earth."
The super rover has not, though, yet discovered any definitive evidence of Martian organics, NASA added.
NASA said that on Monday it will provide information on the rover's first use of its full array of analytical instruments to investigate a drift of sandy soil.
Sharon Gaudin covers the Internet and Web 2.0, emerging technologies, and desktop and laptop chips for Computerworld. Follow Sharon on Twitter at @sgaudin, or subscribe to Sharon's RSS feed . Her e-mail address is email@example.com.
Read more about Government/Industries in Computerworld's Government/Industries Topic Center.
- Finance - Interactive eGuide In this e-Guide, Computerworld, IDG News Service and IT World examine software-defined data centers, customer experience tools, and security issues that are top...
- Ten Factors Shaping the Future of Application Delivery Download this research report conducted by Enterprise Management Associates (EMA) to learn how those that are seeking to accelerate application delivery are leveraging...
- Using Continuous Delivery to Improve Software Delivery Learn more about the challenges impacting organizations and how continuous delivery processes can be a key success factor in accelerating software delivery.
- Global Bank Improves Quality of Application Development Read how this financial institution centralized build assets, cut development time in half and added additional security controls.
- Cloud BI in Action: Recorded Webinar of Customer, Kony, Inc. See how Kony, Inc., a leading enterprise mobility company, is using TIBCO Jaspersoft for Amazon Web Services and Redshift to achieve embedded analytics...
- Cloud BI Overview: Jaspersoft for AWS Check out this overview of Jaspersoft for AWS, to easily and affordably build business intelligence solutions as well as embed visualizations and analytics... All Government/Industries White Papers | Webcasts