Google exec rips Facebook as social net of the past
"I guess to call them the social network of the past is an exaggeration considering they still have, what is it now, 1 billion users," he said. "I think Google's just trying to legitimize itself as the better alternative to Facebook. I think Facebook has taken somewhat of a publicity hit based on the botched IPO, so kick them while they're still getting up."
Kerravala said he expects the assault to continue.
Horowitz said he couldn't release the latest user numbers for Google+ but pointed to a report released in September that said the site has 100 million active monthly users. It's a big number until it's compared with Facebook's reported 1 billion active users.
Undaunted, Horowitz said the social network is moving in the right direction and has the benefit of being late to the party and seeing what works and what doesn't.
"It's a question of time frame. In five to 10 years, absolutely we aspire to be a place where you have an uncluttered, meaningful connection...," he added. "It's never fun to be late to a market, but it does afford you an opportunity to talk to users. What needs are not being met? What do they like and not like? We believe in the online world you should be able to have a conversation with your cycling buddies that stays with your cycling buddies."
Sharon Gaudin covers the Internet and Web 2.0, emerging technologies, and desktop and laptop chips for Computerworld. Follow Sharon on Twitter at @sgaudin, on Google+ or subscribe to Sharon's RSS feed . Her email address is email@example.com.
Read more about Social Media in Computerworld's Social Media Topic Center.
- Social Media in Technology: A Unified Strategy for Success Find out how social media is sparking a new era of customer and industry-understanding in technology enterprises and how industry leaders are overcoming...
- The Business Value of Continuous Delivery Download this whitepaper to learn more about the business value of Continuous Delivery and see why it could be a game changer for...
- Ten Factors Shaping the Future of Application Delivery Download this research report conducted by Enterprise Management Associates (EMA) to learn how those that are seeking to accelerate application delivery are leveraging...
- Software Asset Management: Ensuring Today's Assets Today's trends like BYOD and SaaS are new and exciting in terms of how they will help make our jobs more productive but...
- On-demand webinar - 7 Keys to Service Catalog Implementation Success Watch this webinar to learn 7 crucial keys to make your service catalog a success!
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt. All Social Media White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!