Google exec rips Facebook as social net of the past
"I guess to call them the social network of the past is an exaggeration considering they still have, what is it now, 1 billion users," he said. "I think Google's just trying to legitimize itself as the better alternative to Facebook. I think Facebook has taken somewhat of a publicity hit based on the botched IPO, so kick them while they're still getting up."
Kerravala said he expects the assault to continue.
Horowitz said he couldn't release the latest user numbers for Google+ but pointed to a report released in September that said the site has 100 million active monthly users. It's a big number until it's compared with Facebook's reported 1 billion active users.
Undaunted, Horowitz said the social network is moving in the right direction and has the benefit of being late to the party and seeing what works and what doesn't.
"It's a question of time frame. In five to 10 years, absolutely we aspire to be a place where you have an uncluttered, meaningful connection...," he added. "It's never fun to be late to a market, but it does afford you an opportunity to talk to users. What needs are not being met? What do they like and not like? We believe in the online world you should be able to have a conversation with your cycling buddies that stays with your cycling buddies."
Sharon Gaudin covers the Internet and Web 2.0, emerging technologies, and desktop and laptop chips for Computerworld. Follow Sharon on Twitter at @sgaudin, on Google+ or subscribe to Sharon's RSS feed . Her email address is email@example.com.
Read more about Social Media in Computerworld's Social Media Topic Center.
- Social Media in Technology: A Unified Strategy for Success Find out how social media is sparking a new era of customer and industry-understanding in technology enterprises and how industry leaders are overcoming...
- 5 Customers Deliver Virtual Desktops and Apps to Empower a Modern Workforce Learn how Citrix solutions helped 5 companies realize the full value of desktop virtualization through a project-by-project approach based on key business priorities.
- Top 10 Reasons to Strengthen Information Security with Desktop Virtualization Regain control and reduce risk without sacrificing business productivity and growth
- IDC MarketScape: Worldwide Client Virtualization Software 2013 Vendor Assessment IDC has placed Citrix in the 2013 IDC MarketScape Leaders Category once again noting that, "Citrix's position reflects the company's market leadership and...
- What Does it Take to Deliver a Superior Customer Experience? The Two Top-Rated Online Retailers, B&H Photo and Crutchfield Electronics, Share Their Secrets Discuss practical CX tools and service methods such as contact center agents and the use of realtime speech analytics to help contact center...
- Keep Servers Up and Running and Attackers in the Dark An SSL/TLS handshake requires at least 10 times more processing power on a server than on the client. SSL renegotiation attacks can readily... All Social Media White Papers | Webcasts