AT&T to sell rugged flip phone with push-to-talk Dec. 14 for $100
The Samsung Rugby III will sell for $100 with a two-year contract
Computerworld - In a sign that the flip phone and walkie-talkie functionality are still popular with some workers, AT&T announced Thursday it will sell the rugged Samsung Rugby III exclusively for $99.99 with a two-year agreement starting Dec. 14.
The flip form factor and compatibility with AT&T's Enhanced Push to Talk (a walkie-talkie service) create a sweet spot for businesses trying to equip field workers in a range of industries as well as outdoors enthusiasts.
The 2.4-in. touchscreen display on the Rugby III is small compared to many of today's smartphones, such as the new 4-in. iPhone 5. But screen size isn't the priority for potential users, who AT&T thinks will want the military ruggedness, which makes it waterproof, dust proof and shock resistant.
There's a dedicated button for access to PTT, which AT&T boasts allows communications with larger talk groups than before. There's also one-touch access to GPS navigation through AT&T Navigator, and a 3 megapixel camera.
AT&T also sells the Samsung Galaxy Rugby Pro.
Matt Hamblen covers mobile and wireless, smartphones and other handhelds, and wireless networking for Computerworld. Follow Matt on Twitter at @matthamblen or subscribe to Matt's RSS feed. His email address is email@example.com.
Read more about Smartphones in Computerworld's Smartphones Topic Center.
- Tips for Driving User Adoption in New Technology Deployment Read this checklist on tips for driving user adoption to see where you stand.
- Moving to Hybrid Cloud: Top 5 Considerations Here are the top five considerations to keep in mind as you begin evaluating hybrid cloud for your workloads.
- Ten Factors Shaping the Future of Application Delivery Download this research report conducted by Enterprise Management Associates (EMA) to learn how those that are seeking to accelerate application delivery are leveraging...
- Using Continuous Delivery to Improve Software Delivery Learn more about the challenges impacting organizations and how continuous delivery processes can be a key success factor in accelerating software delivery.
- Cloud BI in Action: Recorded Webinar of Customer, Kony, Inc. See how Kony, Inc., a leading enterprise mobility company, is using TIBCO Jaspersoft for Amazon Web Services and Redshift to achieve embedded analytics...
- Cloud BI Overview: Jaspersoft for AWS Check out this overview of Jaspersoft for AWS, to easily and affordably build business intelligence solutions as well as embed visualizations and analytics... All Smartphones White Papers | Webcasts