AT&T to sell rugged flip phone with push-to-talk Dec. 14 for $100
The Samsung Rugby III will sell for $100 with a two-year contract
Computerworld - In a sign that the flip phone and walkie-talkie functionality are still popular with some workers, AT&T announced Thursday it will sell the rugged Samsung Rugby III exclusively for $99.99 with a two-year agreement starting Dec. 14.
The flip form factor and compatibility with AT&T's Enhanced Push to Talk (a walkie-talkie service) create a sweet spot for businesses trying to equip field workers in a range of industries as well as outdoors enthusiasts.
The 2.4-in. touchscreen display on the Rugby III is small compared to many of today's smartphones, such as the new 4-in. iPhone 5. But screen size isn't the priority for potential users, who AT&T thinks will want the military ruggedness, which makes it waterproof, dust proof and shock resistant.
There's a dedicated button for access to PTT, which AT&T boasts allows communications with larger talk groups than before. There's also one-touch access to GPS navigation through AT&T Navigator, and a 3 megapixel camera.
AT&T also sells the Samsung Galaxy Rugby Pro.
Matt Hamblen covers mobile and wireless, smartphones and other handhelds, and wireless networking for Computerworld. Follow Matt on Twitter at @matthamblen or subscribe to Matt's RSS feed. His email address is email@example.com.
Read more about Smartphones in Computerworld's Smartphones Topic Center.
- Gartner Magic Quadrant for Client Management Tools The client management tool market is maturing and evolving to adapt to consumerization, desktop virtualization, and an ongoing need to improve efficiency.
- Audit Ready and Asset Optimized: The Solid Promise of an Intelligent Software Asset Management Solution In this paper Frost & Sullivan examines the benefits of enterprise-grade Software Asset Management solutions, and how these solutions serve as the convergence...
- Pragmatic Endpoint Management: Empowering an SMB Workforce in the Age of Mobility Lacking the time for proper training and education, SMB administrators often resort to taking shortcuts to keep their environment running.This paper discusses the...
- Gartner Magic Quadrant for Application Security The market for application security testing is changing rapidly. Technology trends, such as mobile applications, advanced Web applications and dynamic languages, are forcing...
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users?
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy... All Smartphones White Papers | Webcasts