Google Play grows in Japan, other Asian countries
One finding of App Annie's research is how well some small apps publishers can do compared to large ones. Supercell, the creator of the popular Clash of Clans game, employs about 70 developers and other staff, but earns as much from its two apps as many gaming publishers with 3,000 workers and many apps, he said.
Supercell finished second in revenues in October on the App Store, behind Electronic Arts, and ahead of Zynga, Lo said.
In the case of Apple's App Store and Google Play, nearly all the top 10 apps publishers by revenue were game publishers. The only non-game publisher in the top 10 revenue producers on the App Store was Apple, which provides a range of productivity apps such as iWork.
For Google Play, the only non-game publisher in the top 10 revenue generators was Naver, a maker of messaging and other apps.
App Annie plans to publish its free App Annie Index via a blog each month to show trends on Google Play and App Store, Lo said. More detailed data is contained in a different report sold to the industry that starts at $15,000 for an annual subscription. The data is obtained for the app stores by looking at actual downloads and revenues for 150,000 of the largest apps, and comparing those findings with the rankings of those apps in the markets, Lo said.
Matt Hamblen covers mobile and wireless, smartphones and other handhelds, and wireless networking for Computerworld. Follow Matt on Twitter at @matthamblen or subscribe to Matt's RSS feed. His email address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read more about Mobile Apps in Computerworld's Mobile Apps Topic Center.
- The 5 Big Lies About Going Mobile You've heard about the power of mobile to change your business. But have you realized your mobile potential? It's about much more than...
- Use the Mobile App Mix to Choose an Enterprise App Store Strategy In this research report Gartner outlines how organizations can optimally secure, distribute, and manage mobile applications for employees and contracted workers.
- The Case for Mobile Apps Today's mobile apps turn handheld devices into e-book readers, portable navigation systems, digital wallets and more. And for organizations with mobile workers, they...
- Transforming enterprise applications for mobile environments This new white paper explains how Dell Application Modernization and Development Solution Set can help you understand when to develop new mobile apps,...
- Keep Servers Up and Running and Attackers in the Dark An SSL/TLS handshake requires at least 10 times more processing power on a server than on the client. SSL renegotiation attacks can readily...
- On Demand: Mastering the Art of Mobile Content Management Mobile device usage in the enterprise has skyrocketed, and it continues to escalate. IT must answer to users who demand access to their... All Mobile Apps White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!