Windows Phone 7.8 coming next year, and users aren't happy
Users are quickly posting their disappointment on a Microsoft blog
IDG News Service - Microsoft's next OS update for Windows Phone 7 handsets won't be available until sometime in 2013.
The news, posted on a Microsoft blog Wednesday, led to a stream of frustrated comments from Windows Phone users, complaining they will have to wait until at least two months after the launch of Windows Phone 8 to get some of the new features.
Users are upset because the latest release of the OS, Windows Phone 8, isn't compatible with older handsets running Windows Phone 7. The users feel that as early adopters of the OS, they've been abandoned by Microsoft and will soon be abandoned by developers that won't bother releasing software for the older platform.
"I feel like I wasted my money, sadly not recommend to my friends to buy Windows Phone now, one year with my Lumia and now will be abandoned," read one user post. "Disappointed.A Extremely disappointed. Beyond extremely disappointed. The first [Windows Phone 7.8] announcement was in June of 2012.A Five months later, we still don't have it," read another.
The news came in the final paragraph of the post, entitled "An Update on Windows Phone 7.8," that was largely a repeat of some of the new features the update will bring.
"We know you're eager to get the Windows Phone 7.8 update, and we want you to know that we're working closely with our hardware and carrier partners to get it tested, approved, and rolled out to as many devices as possible in early 2013," reads the message.
The blog post is attributed to Terry Myerson, corporate vice president of Windows Phone.
Martyn Williams covers mobile telecoms, Silicon Valley and general technology breaking news for The IDG News Service. Follow Martyn on Twitter at @martyn_williams. Martyn's e-mail address is email@example.com
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Stock Shock: The effect of project and portfolio management on share price In this independent report, you'll see the intrinsic connection between long-term capital investment and short term market performance -- and how this can...
- In the Firing Line CEOs Are Increasingly Being Held Accountable; How susceptible is the CEO's reputation to poor performance across the project portfolio?
- The Brave New World of Customer-Centric Manufacturing The Unique Opportunity for Manufacturers to Better Understand their Consumers
- See the Possibilities Utilizing Data Visualization Do you simply want to collect data, or do you want to derive business insights from it? What if you could quickly and...
- Live Webcast Best Practices for the Hyperconverged Enterprise Network To the Age of Constant Connectivity and Information overload
- Live Webcast On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Live Webcast Endpoint Backup & Restore: Protect Everyone, Everywhere Arek Sokol from the bleeding-edge IT team at Genentech/Roche explains how he leverages cross-platform enterprise endpoint backup in the public cloud as part...
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources...
- Testimonial: Cystic Fibrosis Trust Peter Hawkins, the Head of IT for Cystic Fibrosis Trust, discusses the role CommVault's Simpana software platform plays in improving the company's information... All Data Center White Papers | Webcasts