Windows Phone 7.8 coming next year, and users aren't happy
Users are quickly posting their disappointment on a Microsoft blog
IDG News Service - Microsoft's next OS update for Windows Phone 7 handsets won't be available until sometime in 2013.
The news, posted on a Microsoft blog Wednesday, led to a stream of frustrated comments from Windows Phone users, complaining they will have to wait until at least two months after the launch of Windows Phone 8 to get some of the new features.
Users are upset because the latest release of the OS, Windows Phone 8, isn't compatible with older handsets running Windows Phone 7. The users feel that as early adopters of the OS, they've been abandoned by Microsoft and will soon be abandoned by developers that won't bother releasing software for the older platform.
"I feel like I wasted my money, sadly not recommend to my friends to buy Windows Phone now, one year with my Lumia and now will be abandoned," read one user post. "Disappointed.A Extremely disappointed. Beyond extremely disappointed. The first [Windows Phone 7.8] announcement was in June of 2012.A Five months later, we still don't have it," read another.
The news came in the final paragraph of the post, entitled "An Update on Windows Phone 7.8," that was largely a repeat of some of the new features the update will bring.
"We know you're eager to get the Windows Phone 7.8 update, and we want you to know that we're working closely with our hardware and carrier partners to get it tested, approved, and rolled out to as many devices as possible in early 2013," reads the message.
The blog post is attributed to Terry Myerson, corporate vice president of Windows Phone.
Martyn Williams covers mobile telecoms, Silicon Valley and general technology breaking news for The IDG News Service. Follow Martyn on Twitter at @martyn_williams. Martyn's e-mail address is email@example.com
- Troubleshooting Common Issues in VoIP Learn more about Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP), including common VoIP metrics used, best practices in VoIP management and tips and tricks for...
- IDG Research Survey: Are you Paying Too Much for Your NMS? Feel like you're paying too much for network monitoring? You're not alone. This survey brief summarizes findings from research recently fielded by IDG...
- 2013 Network Management Software (NMS) Buyers Guide This white paper contains an independent comparison study of six different network management solutions and provides guidance on how you can choose the...
- Rightsizing Your Network Performance Management Solution: 4 Case Studies This white paper discusses challenges encountered as organizations search for the most cost-effective network performance management solution.
- Tips to Simplify Database Administration and Development Make your job easier while getting the most from the leading productivity tool for database professionals. Learn tips from Dell Software's Oracle® ACE,...
- E-Signature RFP Checklist Webcast If your organization is looking to adopt e-signatures, you may be overwhelmed by the number of providers that offer seemingly similar solutions. How... All Data Center White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!