Windows Phone 7.8 coming next year, and users aren't happy
Users are quickly posting their disappointment on a Microsoft blog
IDG News Service - Microsoft's next OS update for Windows Phone 7 handsets won't be available until sometime in 2013.
The news, posted on a Microsoft blog Wednesday, led to a stream of frustrated comments from Windows Phone users, complaining they will have to wait until at least two months after the launch of Windows Phone 8 to get some of the new features.
Users are upset because the latest release of the OS, Windows Phone 8, isn't compatible with older handsets running Windows Phone 7. The users feel that as early adopters of the OS, they've been abandoned by Microsoft and will soon be abandoned by developers that won't bother releasing software for the older platform.
"I feel like I wasted my money, sadly not recommend to my friends to buy Windows Phone now, one year with my Lumia and now will be abandoned," read one user post. "Disappointed.A Extremely disappointed. Beyond extremely disappointed. The first [Windows Phone 7.8] announcement was in June of 2012.A Five months later, we still don't have it," read another.
The news came in the final paragraph of the post, entitled "An Update on Windows Phone 7.8," that was largely a repeat of some of the new features the update will bring.
"We know you're eager to get the Windows Phone 7.8 update, and we want you to know that we're working closely with our hardware and carrier partners to get it tested, approved, and rolled out to as many devices as possible in early 2013," reads the message.
The blog post is attributed to Terry Myerson, corporate vice president of Windows Phone.
Martyn Williams covers mobile telecoms, Silicon Valley and general technology breaking news for The IDG News Service. Follow Martyn on Twitter at @martyn_williams. Martyn's e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org
- Hadoop for Dummies Today, organizations in every industry are being showered with imposing quantities of new information. Along with traditional sources, many more data channels and...
- The Top Five Ways to Get Started with Big Data Despite the increased focus on big data over the past few years, most organizations are still talking about what big data is rather...
- Data Warehouse Augmentation: The Queryable Data Store While organizations have, to date, been busy exploring and experimenting, they are now beginning to focus on using big data technologies to solve...
- The IBM Big Data Platform IBM is unique in having developed an enterprise class big data platform that allows you to address the full spectrum of big data...
- Live Webcast Best Practices: How to Improve Business Continuity with Virtualization VMware solutions include a range of business continuity capabilities to help ensure availability for applications across your virtualized environment. Learn More>>
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources...
- Endpoint Data Management: Protecting the Perimeter of the Internet of Things Not surprisingly, "Internet of Things" (IoT) and Big Data present new challenges AND opportunities for enterprise IT. Teams need to harness, secure and... All Data Center White Papers | Webcasts