If your company is new to Pinterest, you can sign up for a business account. If your business has an existing account, you can convert it. Pinterest's new business accounts-which still look the same as personal pages-are free and display a verification badge, let you add buttons and widgets to your website, and include an updated set of terms of service.
Here's a look at how the new business pages work and how to convert your company's account so you can better tap the power of the popular visual bookmarking site.
How to Switch to or Sign Up for a Business Page
Changing your Pinterest page from a personal account to a business account is simple: Visit pinterest.com/business/convert to start. You'll need to be logged into your account.
Complete the fields in the form above, including selecting a custom URL for your page. Pinterest will denote whether the URL you've chosen is already in use.
If your company doesn't yet have a business presence on Pinterest, click the "Sign up" link in the top-right of the page. This will bring you to a similar form that also includes a space to upload a profile image.
How to Verify Your Account
Pinterest's verification feature lets you validate that you own the website listed on your Pinterest profile.
To verify your website, visit your Settings page and click on the Verify Website button. Pinterest supports only top-level domains, but you can send suggestions on alternative verification options using this Google Docs Spreadsheet.
Pinterest will ask you to download a HTML verification file and upload it to your Web server. Once Pinterest verifies your website, other Pinterest users will see a checkmark next to your domain in search results and the full website URL and checkmark on your profile.
Embedding Pinterest's Buttons and Widgets
To encourage engagement from pinners and to generate traffic back to your site, Pinterest offers a number buttons and widgets you can embed on your website.
The first two buttons, "Pin It" and "Follow," place buttons directly on your site to allow users to either pin a photo or piece of content to one of their boards, or follow your account directly.
The Profile widget places a collage of your pins and directs users to your Pinterest page to see more. The Board widget, similar to Profile widget, also displays a collage, but highlights one board.
You can find the code to each of these widgets on Pinterest's Buttons and Widgets page.
Kristin Burnham covers consumer technology, social networking and enterprise collaboration for CIO.com. Follow Kristin on Twitter @kmburnham. Follow everything from CIO.com on Twitter @CIOonline and on Facebook. Email Kristin at email@example.com
Read more about consumer in CIO's Consumer Drilldown.
- Silicon Valley's 19 Coolest Places to Work
- Is Windows 8 Development Worth the Trouble?
- 8 Books Every IT Leader Should Read This Year
- 10 Hot Hadoop Startups to Watch
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- CIOs Deliver Productivity Breakthroughs with Intelligent Digital Signage Retailers have long recognized the influence that digital signage provides over a shopper's point-of-purchase decision making process.
- ERP in the Cloud and the Modern Business View IDC's White Paper, to review IDC CloudTrack Survey findings, gain expert insight into the challenges and opportunities the cloud presents, and determine...
- Oracle ERP Cloud Service - Back-Office Solutions that Keep You in Front Learn how you can harness the power of the cloud to run your business more effectively and lower upfront costs.
- Integration with Oracle Fusion Financials Cloud Service While moving your financial system to the cloud may seem straightforward, truly realizing the advantages of the cloud requires a complete understanding how...
Transforming Finance, Procurement and Supply Chain Effectiveness with Cross-Functional Analytics
Date: May 6th, 2014
Time: 1 PM EDT
Attend this Webcast to find out how Oracle's packaged analytic applications enable line-of-business managers to examine all...
- Video Stream Quality Impacts Viewer Behavior This scientific white paper, using statistical data from Amakai's streaming network, analyzes how changes in video quality cause changes in viewer behavior. All Applications White Papers | Webcasts