Gartner: SaaS now replacing legacy apps, as well as extending them
SaaS adoption is on the rise worldwide, with most companies planning to boost their investment, report says
IDG News Service - Companies are not only buying into SaaS (software as a service) more than ever, they are also ripping out legacy on-premises applications and replacing them with SaaS, according to analyst firm Gartner.
"In the past 12 months, Gartner has seen a decline in the proportion of SaaS deployed to augment existing applications," according to Gartner's report, which explores global SaaS adoption patterns. It found regional patterns, with SaaS replacing existing systems in mature markets, while often being the first business solution implemented in emerging markets.
Much of SaaS adoption is fairly recent, Gartner found, with 71% of responding organizations overall reporting that they have been using it for less than three years. Brazil showed the highest level of new users; 27% said they had adopted SaaS less than a year ago, Gartner said.
A sizable majority of respondents in all regions said they planned to increase their investments in SaaS. Only small percentages planned to cut spending on SaaS, according to the report.
"Seeing such high intent to increase spending isn't a huge surprise as the adoption of the on-demand deployment model has grown for more than a decade, but its popularity has increased significantly within the past five years," the report states. "Initial concerns about security, response time and service availability have diminished for many organizations as SaaS business and computing models have matured and adoption has become more widespread."
Users are also increasingly weighing whether a SaaS vendor also offers PaaS (platform as a service) capabilities for extending the software and building new applications, according to Gartner. Fifty-six percent called PaaS "very important," another 22% termed it a "requirement," and 18% said it was "somewhat important," the report states.
Gartner surveyed 592 respondents during June and July in the U.S., Asia-Pacific, Europe and Brazil, covering 10 countries in all.
Chris Kanaracus covers enterprise software and general technology breaking news for The IDG News Service. Chris' email address is Chris_Kanaracus@idg.com
- Whitepaper: 10 Critical Requirements of a Successful Cloud Application Growing interest in cloud computing has prompted almost every enterprise software vendor to claim it's "in the cloud." However, in the industry's rush...
- Whitepaper: The Real SaaS Manifesto This whitepaper defines the key terms every company should know, understand, and evaluate when considering a SaaS vendor for their business.
- Whitepaper: Real CIOs of the Cloud As cloud computing becomes the dominant technology of this decade, today's CIOs are the catalysts for change. This whitepaper published by Techweb features...
- Whitepaper: The Continuous Innovation Advantage of SaaS This report defines the next generation system of record, outlining the changes and challenges with current technology and how continuous innovation has become...
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users?
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy... All SaaS White Papers | Webcasts